Won’t start

paul nicholls

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mates bike is refusing to start.
It turns over and spins the starter no probs.
As part of trying to get it going he fitted a new battery so that’s may not ben the cause.
It tries to start but at best it fires on one cylinder then dies.
Tested the spark, good both sides.
Tested fuel, it’s pumping fuel out both sides.
So it has fuel and a spark. Tested the earth, again all seems ok.
Cleaned the injectors.
That’s the limit of what we can do so are a bit baffled on what to try next.
We are now stumped.
Would be grateful for any ideas of what try next or possible cause.
Cheers, Paul.

Yippee, it's my turn to post the picture...

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 301
A bit more background may help Paul, is this is a sudden issue or has it been laid up for some time. Has he done any recent work on it at all prior to it playing up. Single or twin spark, has it got an alarm?

A bit more background may help Paul, is this is a sudden issue or has it been laid up for some time. Has he done any recent work on it at all prior to it playing up. Single or twin spark, has it got an alarm?
It started as an intermittent problem. It last started last week, went for and passed it's mot.
We went down the road for a brew and wouldn't start. I ended up towing him home.
It won't bump start and it won't jump start.

The thing tries to start. I thought with the hall sensor it would be just dead?

Well according to BMW master technicians it will not start if the hall sensor is faulty, so the theory goes...

But let me tell you i've had more than a few bikes that start and will idle all day long,but as soon as as much touch the throttle they stop running.
Every single one of them has been the hall sensor.

The first one i had with those symptoms, i thought it can't be the hall sensor, it must be fuel pressure regulator.. after the pain in the arse job of replacing the pressure regulator it made no difference - it was the hall sensor. And as i've said, i've had quiet a few with the same symptoms and fault. :D

Sorry to hijack but I'm experiencing similar, so maybe best to chime in rather than start new? OP or admin - feel free to start a new one if that's not cool.

Riding fine till last week - starting & running fine.

Wouldn't start after a brief stop after an 80km ride. Wouldn't jump start from a (3/4 charged) AntiGravity XP1.
Started with a push and rode 40km home - ran fine, albeit now with the ABS lights constantly flashing. Wouldn't re-start after stopping.

Changed out the starter motor this morning for the new aftermarket one I got on here last week. Wouldn't start. Started on a push and ran for 30 seconds or so (again with ABS lights flashing), but then cut out.

2002 single-spark non-servo ABS, 90,000km.

I had a new Hall Effect Sensor fitted last October (@ 70,000-odd km) along with a few other bits which included new spark plugs which I supplied to the mechanic.

On inspection this morning, it was obvious the spark plugs currently in my bike are not 7 months old - heavy corrosion on the hex nut. I was given the old HES back after the new one was fitted.

I'm now wondering - after reading Steptoe's comments, and becoming suspicious after seeing the old spark plug - did the mechanic put an old HES in my bike (or just leave my own old one in) and give me an old one he had lying around.

Looks like I'll be hitting a dealer to fix this - trouble-shooting at a higher level than I'm good for, and mega-busy all summer. But I'd welcome opinions.

Back
Top Bottom