Need some help . Anyone know how to set a pair of Weber Carbs .

Geno

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This needs a bit of work , it's running like a bag of spanners She ran great when I got her but now will not run .

What engine is in it? Webber carbs come in many guises. I’m guessing 2 twin chokes? If you haven’t messed with adjusted or otherwise interfered with the carbs leave them alone. It’s usually something else. Is there a distributor and points? Coil and condenser? What color is the spark? Did u check the inside of the distributer cap? Show us a picture if the engine. JJH

I’m guessing vw but I’ve seen them made on Alfa sud (flat 4) engines. Love to see one with a Citroen gs engine. JJH

We need to know engine and carb type.

A common mistake is to fit too large carbs or choke tubes that are too big.

It's a 1.8 VW aircooled . Twin carbs . I did a 20 mile run and then ran real bad on way back . Wouldn't tick over . Unfortunately I messed with carbs . Cleaned jets . Will post pictures tonight . Phone won't let me .

Vw were notorious for blocking idle jets , once you post pics can advise on idle jet location.

It's a 1.8 VW aircooled . Twin carbs . I did a 20 mile run and then ran real bad on way back . Wouldn't tick over . Unfortunately I messed with carbs . Cleaned jets . Will post pictures tonight . Phone won't let me .

If it won't tick over, idle jet would be favourite followed by the air-corrector jet.

Some more pictures . Idle jet anyone . Is that the idle jet in last picture ? Or the one in pic 3 . Just want her to run . Plugs out and very sooty , cleaned plus new set ordered .

When you say that you messed with the carbs, what did you do? I can't work out the models from the pictures, but there will usually be only two points of adjustment on the carbs - idle mixture and the throttle stop. The other point of adjustment will be the linkage that joins them together.

It is unlikely that any adjustment you made to the above will stop it running. You say it was running like a bag of spanners and that it won't run - which is it?

I'm familiar with IDF, DCN, DCNF, IDA carbs that were often fitted to the aircooled engines and you'd be hard pushed to take the mains and air correction jets out and reassemble incorrectly. Idle jets easier to get wrong, but still unlikely.

When you say you cleaned the jets, what exactly did you do?

If it runs badly it could be something you did with the carbs/linkage - maybe adjustment and they'll need setting up again, if it won't run at all I suspect your issue is elsewhere and you may have or not compounded the issue by making adjustments that were not needed.

I didn't touch the linkages , took out the big screws and cleaned them . I can get her to start but once running it sounds awful and pops and coughs . Plugs a black sooty .

I didn't touch the linkages , took out the big screws and cleaned them . I can get her to start but once running it sounds awful and pops and coughs . Plugs a black sooty . Which screw is which . I found the throttle stop . What would be a base line ??

Forget carbs for the moment. I'd say there's something else wrong with it. Start by checking timing and check for a healthy blue spark. A green spark is condenser. As someone else said the rotor arm could be causing trouble. The rev limiter is built into it. Even if your problem is carbs you need everything else correct. 2 carbs don't go out of tune suddenly by themselves. I remember a beetle that came in one day running like a pig. Run well sometimes then like a pig. Turned out distrubiter was loose. JJH

The throttle stops only control idea speed, so adjusting them will not cause the description. It would still rev smoothly (when blipped) if they had been badly adjusted.

Which big screws did you remove?

Cut out rotors were only fitted to post '70 T2's, so (probably) not likely to be fitted to this engine, plus the contacts in the distributor cap look clean.

You do realise that the big brass screws hold the idle jets. Take out the brass screw and then pull the idle jet out of it. When you hold it up to the light you should be able to see straight through it.

Back
Top Bottom