Basecamp so slow on iMac

red1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help with the response on my iMac.

It's a Late 2014 Retina 5K, 27", 3.5GHz Intel Core i5, 24GB DDR3 and AMD Radeon with 2GB and running on a 1.2TB Fusion drive (whatever that is)

I've recently moved back to the iMac from a home built Windows PC and the graphics refresh when dragging the map or zooming is so slow. It's like the old 14,400 baud dial-up compared to fibre!

Have you tried dialling down the detail to medium before dragging, if set on highest mapping detail it can be real slow on any pc platform . Hope this helps. :beerjug:

Same. Keep the map detail about halfway (you normally don't need much more).

Otherwise it is slow even on i7 machines. ;)

There’s a setting in Basecamp preferences where you can tell it how much disk space to use for caching. Increase that & it should improve greatly.

There’s a setting in Basecamp preferences where you can tell it how much disk space to use for caching. Increase that & it should improve greatly.
I've already got that maxed out at 5GB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

Install the version from the app store not the website

What's the difference? Isn't it supplied by Garmin same as Garmin site version?

App store version is same 4.8.3 as I have currently installed

On another note, has anyone used basecamp with the 2019 iMac 27" and i9 processor?

There must be something wrong with your installation. I'm a MapSource user rather than BaseCamp but have BC on my late 2012 iMac (spec below) and the map scrolling is fine. Similarly with my MacBook Pro. I was on 4.5.1 but just upgraded to 4.8.3 to see if there was any difference (no).

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
3TB Fusion

with the 2019 iMac 27" and i9 processor?

I use it both on a MacMini with a 4core 2.6GhZ i7 (but without a proper GPU) and a MacBook Pro 15" with 4 Core 2.6GhZ i5 (with a discreet GPU) and they both work fine unless you set the map towards maximum detail.
You'll be fine with it.

As in most cases, it's not the computers being slow, but the software could be probably written a bit better.

I believe one is 64 bit
This is true.
On my Macbook Pro I’m using the 32bit version that’s been out for years. When I checked for an update on My iMac (predecessor to 2019) I found it wanted a 64 bit version. It runs a lot better on the iMac now.

Back
Top Bottom