Why shouldn’t I buy an airhead

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know I’ve probably opened an enormous can of wiggles here but since I first laid eyes on the original G/S all those years ago I’ve always hankered for one. I’m on my 3rd gs1200 now and I do really like it a lot but I tend to ride slower nowadays and want something lighter but still with a boxer motor. I’m visiting Tag-Moto in Italy in July to look at what they do, and thinking can I build a nice light reliable air head for less than a new GS? I’m not a purist so it could start as a non GS model. Or should it be a case of “don’t ride your dream bike you’ll be disappointed” I work in engineering and have access to a fair bit of kit if necessary.
Any sensible advice will be welcome.

I had an R80/7 which I was very fond of but I found its handling in a straight line a bit iffy compared with all the big Japanese bikes I'd had; not scary in the dry, just a bit tiring on a long run, and a bit un-nerving in the wet. Kind of wandered about so you were always correcting it a little. I daresay I could have got it better in the long run but I had a shot of both a monolever G/S and early gs paralever and the paralever was much, much better, so I sold the R80/7 and bought one of them and I really like it, probably the most comfortable and steadiest older bike I've ever ridden. To my mind there's a big improvement in the paralever over the monolever suspension. So my advice would be, buy an R80 or R100 GS rather than a G/S. They're a bit tall, though not compared with the gs1200, but I lowered mine with a special Hagon shock and bar risers to allow me to pull the forks up an inch and it suits me fine. And they're still not ridiculous money.

You could come and have a look at mine if you want to see a decent R100GS its a Mikeyboy totally rebuilt job with some useful upgrades, might even sell it to you! And you could deliver whatever it was i said id have off you , forgotten what it was�� john (Acle)

Because the r nine t urban x thingy is bettererer?

I beg to differ.

I had a a 9t urban and it was shite.

I bought this off Mikeyboy recently and it cost about the same as the 9t. No comparison in my eyes. Much nicer and won’t fall apart in 6 months.

decf49c8bd82765d5432b5c343c324e8.jpg

You could come and have a look at mine if you want to see a decent R100GS its a Mikeyboy totally rebuilt job with some useful upgrades, might even sell it to you! And you could deliver whatever it was i said id have off you , forgotten what it was�� john (Acle)

Denali light bar mate

I beg to differ.

I bought this off Mikeyboy recently and it cost about the same as the 9t. No comparison in my eyes. Much nicer and won’t fall apart in 6 months.

decf49c8bd82765d5432b5c343c324e8.jpg

That’s real nice

Denali light bar mate

Thanks for reminder, sat in Barbados at mo, home tomorrow, maybe Ill ride over on it over the weekend if the weathers okay, can you pm me your number�� John

There’s no reason not to get one, great for smaller roads and good fun to own and ride I’ve never been long without one for nearly 30 years now ( I started very early :D)
Still like to have something newer for longer distance and quicker riding

Attachments

• 66D680EA-4208-4DA2-8BE0-5FFFA6947E9A.jpg
    66D680EA-4208-4DA2-8BE0-5FFFA6947E9A.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 476
GB. Have a look at Mikeyboy's ST thread. Every time I visit his workshop I find myself wanting it, even though I have something very similar.

In my opinion, it will will ride better than the original, and looked after, will last for 20 to 30 years without any major work needed.

Worth a look. If you're after a G/S in particular, they are strong money nowadays. It may be worth having a good long ride on one to make sure you want one. I have a friend who bought one because, like you, he'd followed them from new. He bought a pristine model, but just didn't get on with it.

Also, there are so many GS G/S airheads to choose from, so you might as well get one that suits you. :thumby:

GB

Airheads get in the blood...... just get one!
And if you find its not for you, you can always sell it on. (But I doubt you will....I love my wee ST )

Ride safe
Bubb

I beg to differ.

Not a day goes by..

For context, I have an Urban. It’s a cracking bike. It hasn’t fallen apart. I just don’t feel the need to tell everyone every day

Get an airhead, it’ll not stop itching till you scratch it :thumb2

If you just want a rider get the Royal Enfield 400 - they are surprisingly competent, light, cheap and reliable.

Actually , the bullet is probably as good as most Beemers, if SWMBO's Electra is typical!

#1 on what Poon has to say about the /7, G/S and GS, and I currently have a well sorted version of all three on the road.

All the GS needs handling wise is a stock Ohlins shock and the ability to tune the forks to match the shock , or a set of HPN inserts if you can find them

Anything else is just fashion, essential if posting pictures or selling on is important to you but a complete waste if you just want a rider.

The G/S handling can be close to GS with a bit careful fine tuning but the Paralever is just a better system and the GS forks are superior too.

I think I need to ride one really, I had a rnineT while my GS was in for a service. It wasn’t an urban just a basic one, I found it a bit small, but loved the engine and general feel of it. Am I looking at this through rose tinted glasses I ask myself? I’m in no rush as my GS does everything I want and more.

You're right, be wary of rose tinted glasses ;)

Attachments

• P1010153.jpg
    P1010153.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 325

Back
Top Bottom