headlight flashes about two mins after engine switch off

Kerrds

Reaction score
I have fitted a power lead from the optional power socket at the headstock and everything looks and works ok.

the only puzzling thing I have noticed that after I take the key out the ignition the headlight flashes about two mins later , so either the bike is haunted or have I messed up somewhere in the connection

mine (TC) never flashed and I also had the lead connecting my powered accessories. Not heard that before. Twin Cam or Water cooled?

Disconnect the lead and it doesn't do it. Connect the lead to the sat nav and it does it between 1 min and 2 mins after switching off the ignition.
Bike Is a Twin cam

Cool, just bit surprised to see it happen. Disconnect lead and bike acts normally

Hook a multimeter up to the battery with your ancillary plug thingy setup

Start and run the bike so you can see the battery charging and then turn off, and leaving the multimeter connected and on,

observe the volts being drawn by the ECU's etc after the engine has stopped ..

you will see a low draw of about 1-3v if my memory is correct - it may be much less!

Normally around 30 secs to a minute you should see the volts dop to 0.01 or roundabout, thats the sytem going to sleep ..

see what happens when yours flashes. etc

The digital voltmeter on mine which shows system voltage is connected to the underseat power outlet supply. It takes about 30 seconds to switch off after the ignition is off.

Run your sat nav from the underseat power outlet. Problem solved.

Hook a multimeter up to the battery with your ancillary plug thingy setup

Start and run the bike so you can see the battery charging and then turn off, and leaving the multimeter connected and on,

observe the volts being drawn by the ECU's etc after the engine has stopped ..

you will see a low draw of about 1-3v if my memory is correct - it may be much less!

Normally around 30 secs to a minute you should see the volts dop to 0.01 or roundabout, thats the sytem going to sleep ..

see what happens when yours flashes. etc

still doesn't answer the OP re the light flashing. We know the canbus shuts electrics down after about 30 seconds or so, but the light flashing on a 1200TC is not something I experienced

my KTM flashes the tail light at 40 seconds with the key out
a ford focus mk2 puts power (for a split second) to its headlights as it cranks… and mostly pops headlight bulbs for tea. You only see the lights flash - if you swap out the 55w halogens for 20w LEDs... that don't pop).

I'm guessing its to do with nasty electronics and rubbish software.

as for the nav connector I measured this on my air cooled 57 plate GS this week

one pin constant earth (for want of knowing, I'll call that pin 1)
the pin at the other end (pin 3) is 14.4 v when the alternator output is stable
leaving pin 2 being a switched earth once the alternator is producing stable output. So between pins 2 and 3, 2v goes missing so you get 12V not 14V which is some special earth idea

key out of the bike the power drains away over time a bit like a capacitor leaking down, all very weird - doing much what Santa-2512 says above

Back
Top Bottom