Shoei or Schuberth

Macca2321

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I’m back in the saddle after many years and so dug out all the old gear. Still have my old Schuberth Concept which was great back then but oh how we have moved on.

So I decided I will get a new helmet and after much reviewing and reading I’m pretty much down to a few - Neotec II or Schuberth (C3 Pro or C4 Pro)

I’m swinging towards Neotec II at the moment and of course will buy the Sena system to complement it. Reason basically is noise and comfort (looking at reviews)

I have read much on here and at the end of the day it comes down to price, personal choice etc etc. I’m off to the shop tomorrow to try some on.

Would anyone like to add ? I know it’s talked to death so sorry for that but always like to hear some opinions before I lay out cash... and in this case will be two helmets ( one for the long haired general )

Thanks
Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant to add that I want to purchase BMW Nav 6 also.

I am guessing that either of these helmets once fitted with Sena or SRC will go along nicely with Nav 6 - Any experiences welcomed.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go down the Schuberth route one will for but not both as the shell shape is totally different , if a C3 Pro fits you a C4 Pro will not.

As often said in similar threads you really need to try them on and look for pressure points

Your head shape will dictate what you buy and even different models from a same manufacturer can fit quite differently

A badly fitting helmet is torture and an expensive mistake, it can ruin your ride in minutes

PS get 2 helmets that fit not 2 helmets that match !

Shoei

I can’t comment on the Schuberth as I haven’t had one since the old BMW golf ball one, but after being an Arai wearer who doesn’t like flip fronts I have now bought a Neotech 2!
I was looking at a lot of different lids and already use a Neotech 1 occasionally which is just ok. Wasn’t much interested in the 2 but was recommended to try it by my kit guru. I wore one in the shop for a while and found it very comfy. I have now had one for 2/3 months and while it took a bit of getting used to I love it.
Very comfortable and great ventilation. I took the chin curtain off as I like lots of fresh air. Integrated Senna is good but buttons are small one a bit fiddly. Main thing is it’s all day comfortable and works well for me with glasses. Sun visor great.

However, buy what is comfortable. An uncomfortable helmet is a distraction no matter how good it is or what features it has.

If they both fit you, my preference is for the Schuberth, I had a Neotec 2 and found I got wet and it misted up, gave up and bought an E1.

Helmet city have a deal on at £299 for the E1 in a few colours https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/schuberth-e1-guardian-yellow-300-off/

Thought you had a Neotec, not the Neotec 2, which is a newer helmet and gets good reviews. I have had totally different experience, my Schuberth C3 Pro leaks, but my old Neotec is watertight. I am thinking about the Neotec 2 as the Schuberth quality has dropped a little, but as already stated, the shells are different.

+1 for the Neotec 2. Had the original Neotec for a couple of years, but think the 2 is a step on. No leaks etc for me. The integrated comms work well with my phone....not really tried it with the Nav6 as not needed it. The 2 is my ‘go to’ helmet rather than my Arai nowadays.

Tried the Schuberth at the time, and wanted to really like it, but fit was an issue....the Shoei fitted me much better.

fit is everything - if one fits and one doesn't then get the one that fits!

I'd also echo that schuberth are not consistent in their sizes - I have a 'L' in the S2 but a 'M' in the M1

that said - if both fit you ok, then I would personally have the shoei because I think they are a much much higher quality helmet.

The Schuberths I have were fine when new and while I am the sort of person who looks after his 'stuff' I find that a year or so on the Scheuberths squeak and rattle and a annoy the life out of me. The S in particular - its a pretty 'high end' helmet but it doesn't feel it a year from new.

On the other hand, while I don't own a shoei for my own use, I bought one for my daughters use on the pillion - an XR1100 and I am so impressed with the quality. In my house there are 2 aria's, 2 HJC's, 2 Schuberths and my daughters XR1100 and it is far and away the best quality helmet there!

I had the same questions and ended up with a Neotec 2. The fit, quality and comfort was far better (imo) than the others. It’s the only helmet that I’ll wear now.

Thanks guys, very informative. I am going to try both helmets tomorrow. I am as I said steering towards the Neotec 2. As Hillhound said 'An uncomfortable helmet is a distraction no matter how good it is or what features it has.'

I definitely want the Bluetooth features and it woudl seem they all do a pretty good job in that respect.

It WILL come down to comfort in the end. I will let you know what i go with.

Thanks Gents.

I tried both the E1 and the Neotec ll, for me there was no comparison. Chalk and cheese, the E1 felt cheap, uncomfortable and not for me (but we're all different. I went with the Neotec ll as the fit was perfect, soooo comfortable and after using it, very quiet..

I've since bought a Klim Krios as i missed a peaked helmet which is another i'd recommend if you're not to bothered about a flip front.. I still have the Neotec and will keep it for the cooler months..

My Neotec II mists up when the visor is closed (and pinlock fitted) in any weather, which is not too handy and the first click to hold the visor open is just far too large. I also get pains in my right ear even though I've fitted the smallest cheek pad set - and it's not a quiet helmet either. Not too impressed with it. My old Shark Speed R is far comfier & quieter, but it doesn't flip. Might move on the Neotec and try something else.

1st world problems, eh..?

D.

I have a C4 ... noisy, no small opening position for the visor to let a bit of air which in turn makes it hot, tinted visor does not come down far enough, if it does not come with a PinLock branded insert then get them to give you a free one or get in touch with Schuberth as they are replacing them for free (well in the UK anyway).

Would I buy another one ... not a C4 but would try on a C4 Pro - not sure if the Pro has addressed some of the above though.

My Neotec II mists up when the visor is closed (and pinlock fitted) in any weather, which is not too handy and the first click to hold the visor open is just far too large. I also get pains in my right ear even though I've fitted the smallest cheek pad set - and it's not a quiet helmet either. Not too impressed with it. My old Shark Speed R is far comfier & quieter, but it doesn't flip. Might move on the Neotec and try something else.

1st world problems, eh..?

D.

Not saying you haven't but seems quite a few folk fit the breath guard incorrect on the new Neotec, which causes the issues you are describing :)

Not saying you haven't but seems quite a few folk fit the breath guard incorrect on the new Neotec, which causes the issues you are describing :)

Yes, I'm aware of that - someone on here admitted doing that. Mine is fine. Maybe the pinlock needs a tweak....

Yes, I'm aware of that - someone on here admitted doing that. Mine is fine. Maybe the pinlock needs a tweak....

Use a slip of paper to see if the pillock seal is not sitting correctly. I had an issue with my new pin lock on my Schuberth not sealing, no matter how i adjusted the pins. Turned out, I had to very slightly open the mounting slot slightly to allow it to seal, right pain :)

I’ve had Shoeis for years but tried a Schuberth C4 when they came out.
It was shite.The visor/pin lock was appalling, despite adjusting it. I actually got a massive bug in between the visor and pinlock !!

I has the comms kit fitted and wearing ear plugs, I couldn’t hear the speakers above about 50mph.

I was sent a new visor/pinlock which seemed much better but I sold the helmet.

I replaced it with a Neotec 2,having had the original Neotec prior to the C4. I also bought the SRL comms kit.

What a difference !! Much better fit/finish.Using the same ear plugs I can hear the speakers easily up to 80+ mph.

I have no experience of the C4 Pro but will never buy a Schuberth again.

OK, so i ended up with the Neotec 2 and got the SRL fitted.

What can i say..Excellent bit of kit, comfort, quiet and spot on. Glad i went Shoei. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom