Visiting that London...suggestions for places of interest?

While your in Covent Garden have a nice pint of the black stuff out on the balcony over looking the square watching the entertainment at the Punch and Judy pub have fun mate and keep your hand on your wallet
Hi,
Will be in London for a weekend soon, and would be interested to hear any ideas for visiting places which would interest an Irishman (Ex-Marine Engineer) who has not spent much time there yet?
Will be staying near 'Ammersmiff, and plan to go to Greenwich and see Cutty Sark for one day.
Wondering if London Motorcycle Museum is worth a visit on Saturday morning?
Planning to hit Covent Garden on Sunday morning...
Thanks!

The Cutty Sark is a two hour job even if you stop for coffee; but the Naval Museum at Greenwich is next door and the Royal Observatory is on the hill above, both are far better to visit. Try a walk under the Thames using the foot tunnel then get the DLR and give the Skyline a go. That'd be a full day.

Download an app called Citymapper, you put in your destination and it will tell the ways to get around London, try and use the bus you will see so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cutty Sark is a two hour job even if you stop for coffee; but the Naval Museum at Greenwich is next door and the Royal Observatory is on the hill above, both are far better to visit. Try a walk under the Thames using the foot tunnel then get the DLR and give the Skyline a go. That'd be a full day.

Beat me to it, go via Bkackheath / Greenwich Park (nice view) and downhill stroll to the Cutty Sark via Royal Obsevatory and Royal Naval Museum. Catch a boat to Tower Landing for the Tower of London and Tower Bridge (wave to Wapping), hop back on to Westminster and London Eye etc or stroll via South Bank. Catch a bus tour too, some include walking tours like The Ripper haunts.

Love London - so much to see and do

Interesting, they wear lifejackets on the Dublin dukw when it does the amphibious part - might be a reason for that!

Another reason is they don't go on the river anymore due to loosing access to the slipway.

A walk round the old Naval College is nice. They've recently re-opened the Painted Hall after refurbishment, not sure if it's still free but after seeing it you'll be surprised how many times you'll recognise it in all sorts of major films.

If you get into the Painted Hall then look closely at the columns 'supporting' the roof; due to a dispute between the Navy Board and architect (C Wren esq.) the columns were built a half-inch short of the ceiling to prove a point.

I recommend Borough Market. It's next to London Bridge tube so very central. It's a foodie place, lots of stalls selling weird and wonderful artisan food, with free samples ��. Also the Natural History museum. It'll blow your mind. It did mine...

I recommend Borough Market. It's next to London Bridge tube so very central. It's a foodie place, lots of stalls selling weird and wonderful artisan food, with free samples ��. Also the Natural History museum. It'll blow your mind. It did mine...

Yep, would agree, but as some have said.....so much to see and do, you could spend weeks there and still see something new

Ace Cafe

All the above sound good to me, bus tours are good. Ace Cafe is also worth a visit, I went there on a weekday when there was nothing on, would be even better on one of the 'themed' evenings I would imagine. You could go on a cafe racer evening and mix with the fashion victims. Some people like to laugh at the young guys with their beards and shed built bikes that somebody else built, but hey, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.... Any opportunity to talk s**te with other members of our tribe is a good thing.
Eddie

Camden Market is a tourist trap.
Ace Cafe is a shithole full of chavs.

:D

The museums suggested above (Science Museum: always a good option) are a good way to spend some time.

The view of London from Primrose Hill (and a pint in one of the pubs down the hill) + a stroll in the park (Primrose or Regents) are very good/relaxing on a sunny day.
Exploring the east end is probably more interesting than getting stuck in Camden Town with the tourists.

Borough Market :thumb2
HMS Belfast.

Thanks for all the suggestions, will be a busy weekend! Wife want to see Tower of London...

Back
Top Bottom