F750GS - Engine woes

My dealer is awaiting instructions from BMW - no idea what the problem is. I will try to find out more later this week. I am away on hols at the mo - so couldn't care less!! So long as it is back to me on my return.

Thought I’d better update this thread...

On one of my frequent recent trips to the dealers I decided to have a ride on an R1250GS. You can guess what happened next...

84c1b9e4ca8aa70f076934dfac1c877f.jpg

The engine issues I had are no longer my concern. :)

Congratulations Richard - great bike. Just covered 6000 miles now after my 2 weeks in France and am pleased to say no engine or other issues have arisen (so far). I was however feeling the lack of power and very variable fuel range you get from the smaller engine and am considering going back to a 1200/1250GS myself. The lack of punch on mountains and huge drop in range at speed on motorways were a disappointment and the bigger GS is not much heavier than the relatively lardy 750GS.

New Cylinder Head being fitted this week to mine. Not sure if valve guides are the issue or a redesign to make it run quieter. Apparently this will solve the issue of a noisy engine.

Congratulations Richard - great bike. Just covered 6000 miles now after my 2 weeks in France and am pleased to say no engine or other issues have arisen (so far). I was however feeling the lack of power and very variable fuel range you get from the smaller engine and am considering going back to a 1200/1250GS myself. The lack of punch on mountains and huge drop in range at speed on motorways were a disappointment and the bigger GS is not much heavier than the relatively lardy 750GS.

Thanks Steve. Happy to hear your engine is behaving well. I have to say I have zero regrets about moving to the larger bike. My F750 did not have the electronic suspension and that is probably the most noticeable difference to me, where the ride and handling of the 1250 is in a different league (probably aided by the additional weight). Obviously I'm still running-in the new one but there is a very clear difference in performance and I'm enjoying the effortless overtaking. Fuel consumption seems to be mid-50's on the 1250, compared with mid-60's on the 750, which is a small price to pay imo.

Of course the big GS has electronic suspension at both ends rather than just at the back with the 750 so that will make a difference as will the tele lever front end, although I have found that I prefer conventional forks for a more planted feel. Fuel consumption is good on both bikes, but the 30% larger tank on the 1250 means a much better range and the bigger engine means more consistent mpg in my experience. Anyway, carry on enjoying GS-life!

Hi Richard - well I have just joined you in the R1250GS brigade. Should be able to collect my bike later this week or Monday. Looking forward to it!

Hi Richard - well I have just joined you in the R1250GS brigade. Should be able to collect my bike later this week or Monday. Looking forward to it!

Crikey! Congratulations, Steve. Which model did you go for?

I have gone for the Rally TE version mainly because I need a lowered bike and the dealer happened to have one in stock, but I have to say I love the paintwork and gold spoked wheels - at least until I have to clean them! Collection is Saturday.

I have gone for the Rally TE version mainly because I need a lowered bike and the dealer happened to have one in stock, but I have to say I love the paintwork and gold spoked wheels - at least until I have to clean them! Collection is Saturday.

Excellent. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom