F750GS - Engine woes

RichardD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've put about 5,000 miles on my December '18 F750GS and sadly now have an engine issue.

Basically, it has developed a significant vibration at about 4000rpm and above - and at anything below 40mph in 4th a twist of the throttle results in plenty of chugging before it gets moving, which I'm pretty sure is not how it used to be.

Anyway, the dealer has had a listen and a quick look. First suspicion is a dodgy cam chain tensioner, but I have the feeling there will be some trial and error in the resolution process.

Must admit I'm disappointed to run into mechanical issues at this stage.

Hope this is a one-off as I am off for a 3000 mile tour shortly which will take me to 6000 miles and I would prefer not to need to try BMW recovery! I hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.

Sounds like they should be checking the stick coils before pulling everything apart!!

You could well be right (I have no idea), but I think BMW techs are like doctors... they don't like you going through the door with a diagnosis in your hand. :D

Hi Richard - any update on your woes?

Last week they changed the cam chain tensioner. It made no difference.

Today, i got a message to say BMW have recommended the dealers check "positioning and fit of air filter in its cassette", which is an outstanding service campaign item. I think the dealer is a bit sceptical that this will fix the problem, but they are (understandably) following the BMW structured rectification process. So, another two or three hours out of my day on Thursday...

Last week they changed the cam chain tensioner. It made no difference.

Today, i got a message to say BMW have recommended the dealers check "positioning and fit of air filter in its cassette", which is an outstanding service campaign item. I think the dealer is a bit sceptical that this will fix the problem, but they are (understandably) following the BMW structured rectification process. So, another two or three hours out of my day on Thursday...

As expected, no problem with my air filter, so another fruitless trip to the dealer. Now have to wait for the next suggestion from BMW. Must admit, I am getting a bit frustrated with this process.

As expected, no problem with my air filter, so another fruitless trip to the dealer. Now have to wait for the next suggestion from BMW. Must admit, I am getting a bit frustrated with this process.

Must be really annoying, can't you just leave it with them and demand a loaner until they fix it? Is it too late to reject it :)

Must be really annoying, can't you just leave it with them and demand a loaner until they fix it? Is it too late to reject it :)

I've proposed that they give me a loaner until it's fixed. I thought that might inject a bit of urgency into the process. Let's see what they say.

Good luck with getting a loan bike - it would make life easier for all I would think if the dealer can just have your bike until it is fixed. As it sounds pretty un-rideable at the moment I don't see why they won't agree to it as they should if the engine had failed completely, plus, at least until the problem is properly identified, there is also the risk that continued riding will cause further damage.

Mines at the dealer for the second time for an engine fix. Same issue, Cam Chain, tensioner, valve clearance check, still makes a racket and feels vibey.

Wasn't the initial launch delay down to a cam problem? Possibly the hardening process IIRC.

Best park it with the dealer until fixed correctly. Have you raised a formal complaint through your dealer or BMW Customer Services? - details are on the UK website.

Hi Richard - any update on your engine issues?

Latest "instruction" from BMW to the dealer... "to check the clutch backlash and retest then to strip further".

I am waiting to get it booked in for that, although the dealer seems not to be in a hurry...

Wasn't the initial launch delay down to a cam problem? Possibly the hardening process IIRC.

Best park it with the dealer until fixed correctly. Have you raised a formal complaint through your dealer or BMW Customer Services? - details are on the UK website.

Thanks, I will raise a formal complaint to BMW if the dealer does not get it together soon.

Hi Richard, my F750gs started making clacking noises that to me sounded like cam chain tensioner at 500 miles, I mentioned it at the first service, they all sound like that sir was the response, 100 miles later still making the same noises I went to another dealer, they recorded the noise and sent it to BMW, there instruction was to remove the cylinder head for inspection, they found one of the valve guides completely worn out at 580 miles! I didn't have a vibration problem it just felt a bit hesitant on part throttle, the result was to fit a new engine, all this was done in one week by Dick Lovett Motorrad, I collected the bike yesterday and have ridden about 100 miles this morning, everything seems fine now, hope this is some help.

Hi Richard, my F750gs started making clacking noises that to me sounded like cam chain tensioner at 500 miles, I mentioned it at the first service, they all sound like that sir was the response, 100 miles later still making the same noises I went to another dealer, they recorded the noise and sent it to BMW, there instruction was to remove the cylinder head for inspection, they found one of the valve guides completely worn out at 580 miles! I didn't have a vibration problem it just felt a bit hesitant on part throttle, the result was to fit a new engine, all this was done in one week by Dick Lovett Motorrad, I collected the bike yesterday and have ridden about 100 miles this morning, everything seems fine now, hope this is some help.

That’s extremely interesting, thanks for posting. I hope to get mine booked in some time in the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom