Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Thread: Oil level warning

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Oil level warning

Hi all,

Does anyone know how sensitive the oil level sensor is?
    Just had the warning message come on, but the level is bang on halfway inside the window.
    I wouldn't normally worry too much but have got a 2500 mile trip starting in a weeks time so need to sort this ASAP.
    Any info would be appreciated to help ease my paranoia.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Almost forgot its a 2018 GS with 15000 miles.

Why not put .5 liter oil in and see if it sorts it. JJH

Oil level warning

Had it happen to mine as well, seems to be sensitive to unlevel ground at idle, turn it off, leave it a few minutes and it goes away next time you start the bike. Only happened the once when on a banked slope
    I don't own a car just a

I run mine at 1/2 way so I can keep a better check on it... so long as you can see it in the window when on the stand you are fine... does your bike use oil?... give it some stick on your trip and push the rings out... will help IME

Thanks guys, going to put some oil in tomorrow and take it for a spin.
    Its never used any oil from new so im guessing its just very sensitive to oil levels.

I noticed some valve rattle when the oil was at half the sight glass - it was sorted when I tipped up to the top - just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew 789 View Post
    Its never used any oil from new so im guessing its just very sensitive to oil levels.
    Don’t put in too much. Max .3 l. If you top it up you’ll notice that shifting becomes clunkier.

I just needed 250ml and all was fine.

Hi all,

Does anyone know how sensitive the oil level sensor is?
    Just had the warning message come on, but the level is bang on halfway inside the window.
    I wouldn't normally worry too much but have got a 2500 mile trip starting in a weeks time so need to sort this ASAP.
    Any info would be appreciated to help ease my paranoia.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Almost forgot its a 2018 GS with 15000 miles.
    Assess the quantity of oil in the engine, using the method fully detailed in the owner’s handbook, not using a method as recommended by some bod on the internet who is much cleverer than BMW.

Top up, as necessary, as described in the owner’s handbook.

All will be well on your jaunt and in the future.

If its not used oil... was it at this level following your last service? they usually over filled if anything from BMW not 1/2 way??

My current and last bike are really sensitive and would trip the warning at slightly above the middle of the sight glass and would only take a spit if oil to put it back to just below the top of the glass.

Like Mark said I would notice a touch more noise when it wasn’t full. I guess these LC engines are more exacting and demanding in their tolerances hence the early warning on oil

Thanks guys,

Topped up with 200ml and the warning has gone.
    The level is just below the top of the circle in the sight glass now.
    With a trip down to Lake Como starting Friday I was getting a bit paranoid.
    All good now

Andy