My new (old) FLHS ~

Yer absolutely correct...
The Tour-Pak was standard on the Classic and Ultra, but an extra on the Sport.
This came with it, all correctly pinstriped, and I'm glad it did.
They're hugely expensive to buy!

After my run to the borders, and two nights camping in Kelso, the bike now looks 'normal' (ie dirty), and I'm much happier with it... Riding a 'museum piece' was a bit nerve wracking, to be honest!

Dave, how did your wrists cope with the handlebars ? I owned an almost identical model and found the angle of the handlebars acute to say the least. I had mine cut and welded at a more sympathetic slant but when I sold the bike the buyer wanted the OEM ones put back on :blast

I remember when you did that to your 'bars... But for me, the stock ones are super comfortable

Must be my wrists then ! BTW, nice bike :thumb

Hope the weather was better in Kelso than it was in Cumbria.....:thumb

It was typical Borders...
Lots of rain, dry intervals.
I tend to attract precipitation

It's the belt drive era.....
For better or for worse!

Hardly definitive just my 2p...

I did circa 20,000 miles on a '92 FXR...same engine/drive train as your bike. I had no problems whatsoever with the belt drive or anything else for that matter. It was 100% reliable...a lovely dead simple thing to look after n'all....:thumb2

I've only had a belt fail twice, since 1989.
Once in 1990 on an FXRT, on the way to Newcastle, to get the ferry to Bergen.
Once in Nottingham on another FLHS...
Other than that, they've been all good

I've only had a belt fail twice, since 1989.
Once in 1990 on an FXRT, on the way to Newcastle, to get the ferry to Bergen.
Once in Nottingham on another FLHS...
Other than that, they've been all good

Nice bike.
I've had to change a belt on my '95 FXSTC - bast*** of a job!

had a stone on my belt put a hole through the middle. ran it like that for 5000 miles and noticed the belt was starting to rip to the edge so converted it to chain and sprockets. and raised the gearing a bit, while I had the primary off I replaced the inner primary bearing with the modified one from All Balls Racing. £150 for chain & sprockets, £19 for bearing. compared to £700 for belt and pulleys. I'm running a 530 DID X ring chain. My mate in Aylesbury has owned a 1989 FLHS like yours from new over 80.000. on the clock now, He has a sidecar on it. and he fitted a chain & sprocket conversion about 15 years ago.

I'm interested in chain drive for my '89 FXST. I'm gonna ask for some info about what brand of sprockets to use. Would like to stick to 'made in USA' if poss...
Also, what sort of mileage did you get from the chain..?
Thanks mate

Back
Top Bottom