Sportster Custom - long distance??

oddshapedballs

Reaction score
Evening all,

So, mate of mine's been running about on a nice matt black Sportster Custom (4.5 gallon tank), he's selling either privately or as trade in against a new 48 and is offering it with a decent 'mates rate' discount should I want it.

Now, I've always fancied one of these, I spent a couple of hours on it today, so I now know what they're like in the rain :), the seating position was fine I'm 32" inside leg and the mid-controls were comfy, I'm also 85kgs on a good day and the suspension I was expecting to be a mare actually did a good job, and a reasonably passable job on bad b-roads.

I'm OK with the tank range and the need for more stops, and his has semi rigid bags and sissy bar for an additional bag.

To scratch this itch I'd need to sell my TC GSA, and here's the question; while the Sportster would be fine for commuting 3 days a week (70 mile round trip) and buggering off to the seaside on a Sunday, does anyone have experience of riding one of these over a longer distance, say 250+ mile days on a long weekend/week away, what are they like? I guess it's a question of comfort, and anything else I should consider?

Cheers. ;)

Evening all,

So, mate of mine's been running about on a nice matt black Sportster Custom (4.5 gallon tank), he's selling either privately or as trade in against a new 48 and is offering it with a decent 'mates rate' discount should I want it.

Now, I've always fancied one of these, I spent a couple of hours on it today, so I now know what they're like in the rain :), the seating position was fine I'm 32" inside leg and the mid-controls were comfy, I'm also 85kgs on a good day and the suspension I was expecting to be a mare actually did a good job, and a reasonably passable job on bad b-roads.

I'm OK with the tank range and the need for more stops, and his has semi rigid bags and sissy bar for an additional bag.

To scratch this itch I'd need to sell my TC GSA, and here's the question; while the Sportster would be fine for commuting 3 days a week (70 mile round trip) and buggering off to the seaside on a Sunday, does anyone have experience of riding one of these over a longer distance, say 250+ mile days on a long weekend/week away, what are they like? I guess it's a question of comfort, and anything else I should consider?

Cheers. ;)

Put some talc on your itch and keep your GS............;)

During our annual Spanish trip - normally on Harleys... we always have a guy with us on a 1200 Sportser...

It’s never a problem for him, in fact I’ve just bought a 1200 Sporty as a little project- and will probably use it for the 2020 run...

The only challenge with a Harley is... you will either love it or hate it.... no middle ground here.....

My wife and I found the Sportster Custom incredibly uncomfortable over any significant distance. I think the OEM suspension is really poor quality. If I was you I'd look for a Dyna instead.

My wife and I found the Sportster Custom incredibly uncomfortable over any significant distance. I think the OEM suspension is really poor quality. If I was you I'd look for a Dyna instead.

Nothing a pair of the shocks below will not cure, however I still would not like to ride one for a 1000 kms no comparaison between a Sportster and a GS unless you are rock hard and have a fake poker face............:D however nice Sporty is on my Starbucks list for later when just the odd day out is all that is available to me.

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1439/970-series-piggyback-reservoir-shocks

Thanks for the replies, having been back out today and ridden the same route as I did on the Sportster yesterday the GSA feels like a magic carpet in comparison to the Harley. I may find an older Dyna (in my price range) and get a decent test ride on that and see how it compares. But I think for now, until I can afford two bikes, the Sportster is a no go.

How does all that chrome stand up to the winter, is it a case of liberally applying ACF50?

I’m lucky enough to be able to run a GS and HD alongside each other .....if I had to pick just one... umm.....

It would be like choosing between my children.....

Back
Top Bottom