Tenere 700

I think yam have been very clever where they have pitched this for the price. Its the sort of bike you could easily have along side a big litre plus adv bike without too much overlap.

It’s just not a bike I look at though and think , wow I like that. I’ve heard some very good things indeed from owners of the MT07 but I was disappointed when I saw the Tenere at the NEC. I was a fairly early adopter of the “adventure bike” when I switched from sports bikes after seeing the XTX 750 Super Tenere at the NEC In 88. That bike looked great and I bought one brand new (only the 2nd time I’ve done that ) this new T700 does not IMHO.

A CRF250 Rally with that Yamaha engine would be a much better proposition :thumb2

It’s just not a bike I look at though and think , wow I like that. I’ve heard some very good things indeed from owners of the MT07 but I was disappointed when I saw the Tenere at the NEC. I was a fairly early adopter of the “adventure bike” when I switched from sports bikes after seeing the XTX 750 Super Tenere at the NEC In 88. That bike looked great and I bought one brand new (only the 2nd time I’ve done that ) this new T700 does not IMHO.

A CRF250 Rally with that Yamaha engine would be a much better proposition :thumb2

Totally agree.

I had a good look at one in Milan in November and it looks very cheaply built and very plasticky.
Much prefer the KTM790R,even if it is more expensive.

Tenere will be the kind of bike that people buy and either run it totaly standard or extensively modify it , no doubt within a matter of months large tanks, pipes, front and rear suspension upgrades will be on the market and so the tenere will be modified to bring it nearer the KTM spec and the owner will still have a bit of spare cash.

Other thing is that talk to any Yamaha mechanic and they will tell you that the MT07 motor is a superb bit of kit and gives them no problems even with higher miles

Tenere will be the kind of bike that people buy and either run it totaly standard or extensively modify it , no doubt within a matter of months large tanks, pipes, front and rear suspension upgrades will be on the market and so the tenere will be modified to bring it nearer the KTM spec and the owner will still have a bit of spare cash.

Other thing is that talk to any Yamaha mechanic and they will tell you that the MT07 motor is a superb bit of kit and gives them no problems even with higher miles

Totally agree, like its sibling the excellent XT660Z

I always find it a bit odd that with bikes like this which to be honest are probably likely to get dropped on occasion, WHY do they have a weld on sub-frame not bolt on one?
I have replaced and strengthened no end of R1100GS sub frames (as per Verns) and know one or two who had to replace the sub frame on various bikes ktm990's and 640's come to mind

These look hellish expensive to fix if the back end gets bent or you overload and crack it!!!

e6e4f1c26fe978956a16c84efd77ceff.jpg

I’m not sure. Looking at some videos and some of the kits cover all the paintwork. I’ve bought that kit for a black t7. There are a few companies doing kits, Crispy designs, rubber dust, decal Moto and skda. Probably more but they were the main ones I was checking out.

Test ride last Monday.
Zero miles on the demonstrator it's a tall bike me with 33'' inside leg it's OK there is a lower saddle and a lowering kit.
USD forks there is about 8'' travel both ends very firm, forks compress under braking but nothing alarming absorbs pot holes road humps with effortless calm.
Front brakes are two piston calipers progressive and easily controllable with two fingers rear brake did need a lot of effort at first but got better as it bedded in after fifty miles there was plenty of bite the pedal is small and hard to find.
There is good weather protection as you are sitting behind a big front end although at 6'4'' a taller screen or extender would be a benefit, riding position is roomy reach to the bars and to the pegs was comfortable the seat is surprisingly good and narrows to the front which makes it easy to get both feet down but after fifty miles and an hour in the saddle i felt the need to stand up and stretch could do with some improvement.
The engine is the 689cc parallel twin that they put in the MT 07 and pulls away from low speed in high gear without fuss and is very good in traffic on low throttle settings it will quite happily burble along 20-30 MPH in fourth gear, on the motorway roll on 50-80 MPH in top is effortless with no hesitation so overtaking is done quickly, no vibration in the bars, mirrors, footrests but a slight tingle through the levers at motorway speeds which will improve with time as the bike beds in, the gearbox is smooth and positive and clutch less up change is easy.
Handling and balance is good in cornering ruts or manhole covers do not upset the suspension so 'making progress' in the twistys will be good.
The TFT screen is clear and easy to read two trip odo's gear indicator speedo has big numbers to draw your eye to it and clock idiot lights on each side couldn't see a temperature gauge according to the ECU 60 MPG that was fifty miles of mixed urban and motorway riding for one hour
servicing is 6000 miles or twelve months.
I like it:)

It's not a TFT screen, it's LCD.

The seat is fucking horrific. I'm starting to get put off it unless I can solve the seat issue.

It's not a TFT screen, it's LCD.

The seat is fucking horrific. I'm starting to get put off it unless I can solve the seat issue.

Now they are stateside, Sargent will make a seat

I don’t see a lot of complaints about the seat, from guys on YT and Facebook with 10,000 miles on their bikes

Is it you?

Are you selling up?

Back
Top Bottom