Kit for Stupidly Tall Riders

donnie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So this is something that's always been a problem for me, at 6'8", finding biking gear that fits well is really difficult. I always had to buy 4/5/6 XL size jackets to get long enough arms, only to have flappy body sections and arms. Why manufacturers believe that if you're tall you're also 'big', is beyond me, but I appreciate I'm a minority.

So, I was wondering if there are others out there like me, very tall and of a regular build, apart from my belly perhaps, and what kit you wear. I know I can get leathers made, so I'm talking about textiles really.
Has anyone got feedback on JTS textile jacketsfor example? or are there any tall Dutch riders out there that find it easier buying in the Netherlands?

I know I could cut a few inches off my arms but that's probably a bit drastic at this stage.

Cheers,

Donnie 😁

They do. Unfortunately their pricing structure doesn't quite suit my wallet but it is top notch kit.

Hideout, that is. I believe Scott Leathers in Barnard Castle do too but I don't know if they're any good.

I know Hideout is not cheap but made-to-measure, by it’s very nature, isn’t.

If you do a lot of miles, my suggestion would be to gather up all your old kit and just about anything else you can find and flog it on here or EBay. The latter might be better as there are more tall blokes out there that don’t know that UKGSer even exists. That’ll bring in some cash, use it to discount the cost of a suit that will do you for years. Maybe take a bank loan to spread the cost a bit? Money is cheap to borrow.

If all else fails look at some of the Dutch retailers of kit. The Dutch have the tallest national height average in Europe and they like motorbikes (or at least some of them do) so logically they should carry more beanpole stock.

So this is something that's always been a problem for me, at 6'8", finding biking gear that fits well is really difficult. I always had to buy 4/5/6 XL size jackets to get long enough arms, only to have flappy body sections and arms. Why manufacturers believe that if you're tall you're also 'big', is beyond me, but I appreciate I'm a minority.

I've just gone through the painstaking search for waterproof textiles for my wife (like you she should have become a circus act :D ) in the end I got her a pair of Halvarssons and the long version are the first pair I've found that still fit her inside leg of 34" without riding up her boot when seated, it's worth checking them out as the men's may be even longer

Rukka clothing with its long leg versions are hugely long and will easily suit your needs. They put extra in the thigh length as well as the lower leg so they fit properly.

I had a pair of 54L Rukka trousers recently and at 6ft 3 tall with 33" legs they were still at least 3" too long for me.

As Tim says Halvarssons are just as long, almost forgot Stadler as well they do fit the Giants among us

How about Aerostich, their suits are made to order with loads of different size options. Great suits too.

Thanks for all the comments...well, the helpful ones! 😁

I've found that Held do some long trousers of which I have a pair.

Wapping, I agree, long term it is probably worth stumping up the cash for made to measure from Hideout. I've just bought the last extra long jacket from JTS so will see what that's like. If it's no good, I might well be heading for Essex. Or return to a leather jacket.

I’m 6’ 8” with a 36” leg, long arms and 48” chest......

I have the following. ( I’m too tight to buy Rukka/Kilm)

Triumph leather jacket - super quality, lovely long arms....

Spada Textile Jacket, - 100% waterproof - not too baggy in the sleeves and plenty long enough...

Furygen textile trousers, they do a 35” leg which is ok over boots

Leather trousers bought from a German Website, unbranded.

Held xxxxxxxxl ( Yes 8XL ) oversuit which fits over the whole lot......again bought from a German site..

The Furygen trousers have seen better days and have started leaking on the crutch... so will be replaced soon...

Nice one twizzle. I called Held UK about trousers and spoke to a helpful lady who gave details of their longer length trousers. I need the same as you and the Held ones have been good and not to pricey.

Try Dane, I have a regular sized jacket and extra long trousers and they are about 36 inside leg. I think they do longer jackets too.

Back
Top Bottom