2009 RT ESA Suspension Update

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

So my 2009 RT is now at 32K miles and im not the lightest of folk and often run two up, so thinking that the suspension could do with an overhaul.

What’s the recommendation? The ESA still seems to work fine but if i have it out to replace the springs then might as well get them overhauled. I have seen that you can get them done for around £200 from Firefox racing using SHOWA or Sachs but also see you can get shocks on ebay for around £80. Is the Showa or SACHS option good enough??

What’s the thoughts/experiences?

Cheers
Mark

Just keep riding it , revisit when you have 132K on it , or it actually NEEDS some work done to it. Springs don't generally need replaced (my opinion) unless they are the wrong rating or they break (never heard of this on 2 wheels)

have fun !!

Thanks Pete, that’s very handy to know. Have you had it done? Was it front and rear if you did?

I'd fitted a pair of used Hagon units a while ago, picked up cheap - despite lots....and lots....of fiddling with settings, I couldn't get the bike set up to suit me, it was very crashy over poor surfaces and felt like it was bottoming out all the time. Also, it was a bastard to adjust as it didn't have the remote preload adjuster like the original did, and there's barely room to get the c-spanner in there. Having spotted Luke's post, I decided to get rid of the rear Hagon and have the original Showa fettled - now I've got a lovely, plush ride, and the bike just feels 'right'. I've kept the Hagon on the front.....after a bit of fiddling, it feels fine - it's easier to adjust the preload at the front as there's enough space to do about a 1/3 of a turn at a time with the c-spanner, much better than the rear.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom