Top box remove key barrel

This is a really useful thread. It's dispelled any notion I had about trying this myself. I'm so glad not having to learn the hard way. :thumb

I respect the views of those who take the panniers and top box apart, but I have had great success in this method.

I’ve even made a special tool from a hacksaw blade.

https://youtu.be/vlppCcPogfs

Generally the locks are easy to remove using a simple paperclip or other metal implement, but sometimes things don't go a planned. I would always try using a simple tool first, taking the top box apart was the last thing on my to do list. Even with the top box stripped and the locking mechanism removed, I had to strip the whole thing down and ended up prying down the locking wafer with a flat head screw driver even though I had full access to the small hole above the locking wafer. The lock was a total mess and ended up in the dustbin.

Now I have rebuilt the whole mechanism including a new barrel I'm not satisfied and it still remains off the bike. The whole release and lock part works 100% as it should, but the open 'sticks'. I might pack it in my suitcase and take it back with me then work on it with some of the other bikers at work then bring it back when I return end of August. Luck I can live without the top box for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom