Indicator problem

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in France at the moment and I have the LAMPF! warning on the dash, the front left indicator is not working. Pulled into a garage and the mechanic checked it and it is not a blown bulb.

Any clues on where to start looking first, anything obvious that it might be?

Ta

remove bulb, clean holder and ulb end, re insert. Had a few lampF's on my gs and sometimes it was a failure, other times it was just nonsense dirt/fitting etc

We ride BMWs.......... we don't need indicators.

only time I've seen LAMPF was twice when headlamp bulb has gone

they pop quite often.... (of course being france you took - as req by law - a set with you?)

BM diagnostics is basic, so might be a back one, it says front ABS sensor when the rear snaps a wire. The bike doesn't know which is wrong, so just brings up the first in the list which is the front

only time I've seen LAMPF was twice when headlamp bulb has gone

they pop quite often.... (of course being france you took - as req by law - a set with you?)

BM diagnostics is basic, so might be a back one, it says front ABS sensor when the rear snaps a wire. The bike doesn't know which is wrong, so just brings up the first in the list which is the front

The rear one is flashing and the front bulb which is not flashing is fine, so go figure?

Do you mean they tested the bulb or just eyeballed it ?

He tested it, anyhoo heading back to blighty tomorrow so will test everything this weekend when in he comforts of my man cage - hoping it is just a poor connection.

are we on tail light or indicator.... here I'm on about the tail light

LED rear? (fitted to twin cam or LC bikes) latest bikes get flashing rear if braking lots

If an orig air cooled bike, I doubt the stock filament would flash... might be falling off and wobbling with the engine (it happens)

or last idea if you fit this https://www.hexezcan.com/ you can programme to flash via a laptop not been out with enthusiastic mates ?

and if we are on indicators.... its common on LED bulbs to flash as they die (but maybe that's domestic AC stuff - on these its the driver dying)

Fixed! Thanks to Les Wassall!

I popped up to see Les as I had a problem with my HID spot lights - he sorted that out and then had a look at my indicator problem. He traced the indicator rats's tail to the block connector where it connects into the main loom. After cutting the cable tie to free the connector it showed that the two wires from the main loom into the connector were both sheared! The wires were clearly too tight where the connector was cable tied to the frame and the stress over a period of time had obviously snapped them. Les's solution was to solder some extra length onto the two wires to add some wriggle room, cut off the block connector from the rat's tail and solder the wires direct to the newly extended main loom wires - result!

My bike was infested with over-tight zip connectors - they all got swapped out soon after I got the bike. Another trouble spot is the plastic tray alongside the battery and air box. The tray is too tight so vibration frets away at the wiring insulation.

Back
Top Bottom