August Scandinavia Trip - Advice requested

Weimar-482

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a trip in Scandinavia in August. Three questions:

1. Anyone know about moving bike by rail in Sweden/Norway?
2. Anyone got any recommended routes or roads that must be ridden?
3. Any experience of ferries back to the UK from Norway?

Thanks for any help in advance

H

I'm pretty sure that there are no ferries anymore from Norway to UK. I was also looking at a trip back to UK from Finland and the easiest routes. There is a freight ferry from Gothenberg to Immingham (Hull) with DFDS but even they now have stopped private passengers going on so it is getting more and more difficult. Of course very easy if you are prepared to put the miles in.

I would be interested in your route this way though. Maybe can help me plan a trip the other way.

Hi

I’ve started researching this for next years trip.

Eurobiketrans charge £650 return for the bike from Manchester to their warehouse in Oslo.

Chas Mortimer is £600 collected from your house and dropped to your location of choice, although that’s just one way.

We are thinking along the lines of by getting the bikes transported, we can maximise the time spent in Scandi land.

1. Sweden (and I assume, Norway) has very clear restrictions (bans) on taking motorcycles on trains, much the same as the UK. You can’t just roll up and push your bike into a train, if that was what you are thinking? There are no ‘motor rail’ trains in either country.

2. Have you done any research at all yourself? Have you tried looking even as far as this section of the forum? For example:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/440359-Some-useful-information-on-touring-in-Norway

3. Have you found any ferries (outside of the freight lines) running the UK to Scandinavia crossings?

Interesting to read of the fly-drive options and the cash should be offset against petrol and ferry costs of course. That said, I always feel the getting there is half the fun of the trip: chatting to folk in the ferry queue, a few beers on the way over etc.

Have a look at the Norway / Scandic section of this site. Plenty of info there to satisfy your requirements.

Getting there, is a fundamental of starting the trip, irrespective of the method and fun to be had on the way. Getting back, the same. :D

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom