Thoughts on my new 1250gs

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After owning 3 gs,s I recently swapped for a new 1250 te model . I’m now in Austria with about 1500 miles on it. Here are my words of wisdom on it.
Mostly it is a better bike such as a better gearbox. Smoother engine and that bit extra power does seem to help when cruising down the Autobahns at about 90-95 mph. It has better suspension and seems more comfortable overlong distances ( 460 miles day).
There is one down side though. I think that the TFT system is a bit of a faff and some functionality has been lost over the previous system. Foreinstance, you can’t have fuel range and tyre pressures showing at the same time. Also the on the old one you had trips 1,2,and A so could could have total mileage for a trip, daily mileage and I reset trip 1 every time I refuelled. These are minor points I know but it is s definite step back.
That said, I do like the TFT system on the whole.

Is it worth changing from a 2016 model. Probably not, but I did as mine was getting high mileage for its age and it is a definite improvement in most areas. :thumby:

I agee, especially about the TFT. Much better for monitoring your speed, but otherwise a disappointment. Best features for me are the much more tractable low rev performance which makes it a lot more easily controllable in low speed situations. Currently touring two-up in Spain, and am also finding the much improved Hill Start very useful.

I agee, especially about the TFT. Much better for monitoring your speed, but otherwise a disappointment. Best features for me are the much more tractable low rev performance which makes it a lot more easily controllable in low speed situations. Currently touring two-up in Spain, and am also finding the much improved Hill Start very useful.

Agree about the hill start. Don’t think the TFT is disappointing just not an improvment in all areas.

Loving mine so far.

Appreciate the point about TFT however balanced by the fact that I can actually see the speed without having to take an appproximation from the position of the tiny needle on the tiny dial:D

You still have trips 1 & 2 as before you can either scroll through to it using the up button or you can access it in vehicle settings, also you may not have it enabled in the screen settings, in there is all the things as before. 100% it’s a better system than the older analogue but you have to learn how to use it, it’s a faff re setting the trip but once you work out where all the settings are it’s straightforward lol.

You still have trips 1 & 2 as before you can either scroll through to it using the up button or you can access it in vehicle settings, also you may not have it enabled in the screen settings, in there is all the things as before. 100% it’s a better system than the older analogue but you have to learn how to use it, it’s a faff re setting the trip but once you work out where all the settings are it’s straightforward lol.

Understood. I’m not saying it’s a bag of s***. Just in some areas it a step backwards.

So have they done away with Trip A altogether? I used to like that feature.

Don’t know. Never had it flat out and fully loaded. Last one did though.

Yes. Apparently so.

No, you have Trip 1 and Trip 2. You can reset the various options independently for the Trip 1 Settings (e.g. Fuel Consumption) but for Trip 2 you can only reset all. You can see both of them if you press the menu button to cycle through the info that appears above the rev counter - and if you can’t see Trip 1 and Trip 2 it’s probably been hidden from within Settings as 10tenmen said.

No, you have Trip 1 and Trip 2. You can reset the various options independently for the Trip 1 Settings (e.g. Fuel Consumption) but for Trip 2 you can only reset all. You can see both of them if you press the menu button to cycle through the info that appears above the rev counter - and if you can’t see Trip 1 and Trip 2 it’s probably been hidden from within Settings as 10tenmen said.

So that’s just 2 trip meters then. As I said. Not 1,2 and trip A.

So that’s just 2 trip meters then. As I said. Not 1,2 and trip A.

As someone who's on their first GS, can you just explain those? So the older versions had a trip 1, 2 AND A? What was the difference between them all and why do you need three?

As someone who's on their first GS, can you just explain those? So the older versions had a trip 1, 2 AND A? What was the difference between them all and why do you need three?

Well. On my old GS I kept trip 1 for total tour mileage. Trip 2 was for mileage since last fill up and trip A was the days mileage

trip A was the days mileage

Trip A is AUTOMATIC and is reset daily. I check it whenever I've been out for the day. Saves f*cking around having to remember to reset a trip in the morning. My BMW car also had one. It's gone now, replaced with a Spanish VAG product, where they view what constitutes a trip a bit differently. Trip to the coffee shop, I think.

Back
Top Bottom