Black specks in gearbox oil?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
r1200gsa 2010 108k kms, gearbox rattle in neutral when hot.
Gearbox oil drained after 8k kms to see if anything amiss.
A few small whiskers on magnet, but oil cloudy / black with fine black specks, presumably non- ferrous. Anyone know the cause of this issue? Clutch and gearbox still working find so in no rush to strip her, but if needs must...

Hi,
r1200gsa 2010 108k kms, gearbox rattle in neutral when hot.
Gearbox oil drained after 8k kms to see if anything amiss.
A few small whiskers on magnet, but oil cloudy / black with fine black specks, presumably non- ferrous. Anyone know the cause of this issue? Clutch and gearbox still working find so in no rush to strip her, but if needs must...

If you still have it, let the old oil settle in a clear container and see what settles out. I do this with my old FD oil to see what, if anything, is in it.

Strange - I can only conclude that an oil seal is on it's way. Are there any leaks apparent.

You could get an oil lab analysis done, or just see what another change shows in say 1k miles.

You mention cloudy, but is this just the black specs or is it more typical of water/condensation contamination?

Hi, correction - not cloudy, but discoloured by the specks... I am going to change the oil again this week. I am thinking could it be the input shaft bearing shield, but this is only a guess...

Gearbox bearings (some anyway) are grease filled. When the seals fail they collect oil, get overfilled and can blow the seals. Bearings fail soon after.

Gearbox bearings (some anyway) are grease filled. When the seals fail they collect oil, get overfilled and can blow the seals. Bearings fail soon after.

Have you replaced bearings and if so, did you use OEM or branded (SKF, etc...) ?

Back
Top Bottom