Front ball joint

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had a hunt around the site and google to try and get some information with regards to changing the lower ball joint. Has anyone replaced it and is there a guide?

Do you need a press or is there a hack that would mean you can do it at home?

What sort of cost is it to get it swapped?

Thanks for any advice as normal
Mark

I only have a manual at hand.

1. With front wheel removed and a quick release axle in place - Loop a strap over quick-release axle and top fork bridge and tighten the strap.
2. Remove banjo bolts complete with sealing rings . (Brake lines
3. Remove nut , using socket wrench (No. 31 5 601) and Allen key (No. 31 5 603). (Release temperature, bottom ball joint 120 degrees)
4. Damage to radial shaft seal in fixed fork tube by sharp-edged vent bore in slider tube.

Do not pull the fixed fork tube out of the slider tube past the as-installed position.

Lower the fork legs slightly until the bottom fork bridge can be removed, noting the vent bore.

Remove bottom fork bridge

The bridge should then be removed.

Sadly I have no sizes on the socket :(

I don't have information on doing it on the bike....I know I will need to do this on my GS when it gets to the UK.

So, Has the bearing failed then? It is VERY rare for one to go. The bearing doesn't really get a hard life.

Nah it’s just this knock from the front when you roll the bike.

I’ve checked it’s not the brakes moving and the wheel bearings are fine.

I recently had the front wheel off and with the axel bolt through and me pulling on it I can feel a slight play, just thinking it has to be the ball joint not sure what else it could be.

Bikes only done 32k.

Thanks Neil, just need to find out what size of socket is required for the main ball joint itself..

Dr. Google says ........... 46 mm deep socket, with slim walls ivo formation of the bridge.

If you are certain the BJ is shot, it might be easier to remove the bridge & get a friendly local tech to remove the old/fit the new BJ, rather than invest in a socket for single use.

Dr. Google says ........... 46 mm deep socket, with slim walls ivo formation of the bridge.

If you are certain the BJ is shot, it might be easier to remove the bridge & get a friendly local tech to remove the old/fit the new BJ, rather than invest in a socket for single use.

That’s handy the triumph I had was a 46mm socket for the rear wheel so got one of those if I need it..

Back
Top Bottom