North America maps on UK purchased NavVI

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going over to California in the Summer and wondered how I went about loading fresh, detailed, maps of North America onto my NavVI ? I’ve got Europe on there.....but can’t see an obvious way of getting North America maps on there ?

Apologies if already covered, couldn’t spot anything on a quick search...

You can buy an SD card direct from the Garmin website with the maps on.
I think that’ll work with your unit.

You can buy an SD card direct from the Garmin website with the maps on.
I think that’ll work with your unit.

Checking out the Garmin site.....I think I already have them but have no recollection of buying them and assume its linked to registering my NavVI
12f3249d9efd16d9b24ee736f3906af7.jpg

But I have no idea how to get them on the device.....

Down load them on to a micro SD card by plugging your unit into your laptop/computer via the USB port.
You need to download something first I think. It’s on their website, Garmin Express.

Your other option is to create your own in Basecamp and upload to the Nav. I used this method when I did one of Bilco's tours to California a few years back. My recollection is that the only thing I didn’t have that you get with Garmin was speed camera alerts but I’m not sure that comes with the Garmin SD card anyway.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I bought them in the US recently from the Garmin website. All pretty easy to do.

I don’t think that Basecamp exists anymore, it’s now Garmin Express.

Yea you have to watch compatible devices with these maps. I got a free option for any map and chose City Navigator North America NT only to find my GPS Garmin DriveSmart™ 61 LMT-D does not support them it requires a Garmin DriveSmart™ 61 LMT-S go figure.

Garmin Express is just the portal for making updates rather than being the mapping program itself.

You’re quite right of course. I hate downloading stuff, I always end up very close to Tanny status.
Buying a preloaded SD card from Garmin suits me better.

You’re quite right of course. I hate downloading stuff, I always end up very close to Tanny status.
Buying a preloaded SD card from Garmin suits me better.

Have a look on fleabay some sell the older years one,s and virtually nothing changes.

Down load them on to a micro SD card by plugging your unit into your laptop/computer via the USB port.
You need to download something first I think. It’s on their website, Garmin Express.

The user ID on the Garmin website and also Garmin Express are the same (ie mine) but whilst the maps show up on the Garmin website - they dont in Garmin express when I go the tools/maps screen where I’d expect them to be. I did initially think they were an old purchase for an old Garmin unit.....but the fact that they have Nav6 in the title makes me think they’re not ! I guess I’ll have to fire an email to Garmin support.......although I doubt I’ll get a response before my hols.......its only end of July.....cough..

Not that its much more help but this is the email that goes with the purchase [mine fails to download with an error displayed]

87e50173eb9594ba98330985355197cd.png

Do you not get free updates from the one you bought in 2009 or is that just the maps that come with the Nav6 when new (ie Europe for us in UK) ?

As you suggest, free updates are only available for the pre-installed maps that come with any Garmin device that is sold with Lifetime Maps, not just the Nav6.

In any event, I didn't buy my 2009 copy. It was very kindly given to me by a guy on Adventure Rider.

When you buy the maps on an SD card they are not updatable. You can only update the download maps.

Going over to California in the Summer and wondered how I went about loading fresh, detailed, maps of North America onto my NavVI ? I’ve got Europe on there.....but can’t see an obvious way of getting North America maps on there ?

Apologies if already covered, couldn’t spot anything on a quick search...

If you are going to California (and only California) you will not need fresh detailed maps of the entire North American continent or, probably, even detailed maps of the entire state.

I’d suggest you simply load the relevant free maps from Open Street Maps.... a reasonably paced search, as opposed to a quick one, will tell you how.

Back
Top Bottom