2008 GS 30K mile. Trouble finding neutral.

landmarkjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just started happening. Having to faff about at stop to get neutral light to come on. Gearbox would appear to be in neutral but no green light. Eventually will get it to light green by going up into second and back to first etc but if it not showing green it won't then start.

Because of my fault finding background I will give the recent changes that may just be red herring and unrelated or maybe not:

There has been in intermittent noise from "down there" noticed when crawling along in second gear... heard it twice or three times on a few miles spin (it was in a funeral cortege so didn't investigate).

The rear shock was removed and refitted after rebuild. This was first outing. Thanks for any suggestions.

Gear selector switch at back of gearbox, possibly wiring connector, which is right next to rear shock, easy to knock/touch without being aware.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Any stiffness in the selector action?

Might be worth cleaning the shift arm bushes where they pass through the frame.

Well I had a little wiggle on that connector on the back of the gearbox but all seemed good and I don’t think I would have gone near it just taking the shock out.

Anyway had a 80 KM run with one stop and no sign of the issue at the moment. Thanks for all advice. Safe riding.

I haven't had an "N" or green light for weeks now.
It comes and goes.

Sent from a U11

The gear position switch is a potentiometer. The tracks can wear. (ditto side stand switch) The clutch fluid rises in the reservoir as the clutch plate wears. Eventually the clutch can slip as there is nowhere for that excess fluid to go.

The gear lever bushes through the frame can get dirty. Remove the selector shaft, clean well and reassemble. The selector ball joints shake loose giving a sloppy gear shift lever action.

Back
Top Bottom