final drive change options for 1150gs ?

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 03 non abs 1150gs with a final drive of 31/11

first gear is too high and 6th is barely used

seems I want to go to 32/11

I have yet to find one that looks in good cosmetic and mechanical condition and although not essential, non abs

whats the chances of changing the gears in my diff and fit new bearing and seals while in there or is this totally uneconomic

or does anyone have a 32/11 diff out there in good nick that fits straight on ?

Interesting to read this. I have a 2002 1150GS Adventure and I wish my 6th gear was much higher.

I have an 850 final drive which was fitted to my R1150GS. I fitted a new big bearing and seal when I used it.
YznDmYW.jpg

Zg9J0BZ.jpg

Yours for £100 plus postage.

http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/

This is a very useful tool for comparing your options and selecting the FD you want. Especially the option to plot rpm/speed curves for each ratio. I ended up gearing up instead of down, and fitted an R1100S to extend 5th and stop it running into the rev limiter.

http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/

This is a very useful tool for comparing your options and selecting the FD you want. Especially the option to plot rpm/speed curves for each ratio. I ended up gearing up instead of down, and fitted an R1100S to extend 5th and stop it running into the rev limiter.

cheers thats very good, lets me know what fits what

I would go 33/11 from a R1100GS or R1100R

I am rarely on motorways and most of the roads here are B roads so top speed isnt overly an issue.

just finding one now that isnt a scabby mess or the internals could be fun

Used one from an 1100 just right great in heavy traffic, I tried an 850 drive much too low unless you intent riding up Everest!!. Used an 100 drive for a six month trip across nth/sth America and put the std one back on my return, found it much too high and put back the 1100 drive!!. Try it and see you can soon sell it on here if not wanted, use plenty of heat on the lock tited fixings and quite simple to change over. Good luck bu DO try it.

Used one from an 1100 just right great in heavy traffic, I tried an 850 drive much too low unless you intent riding up Everest!!. Used an 100 drive for a six month trip across nth/sth America and put the std one back on my return, found it much too high and put back the 1100 drive!!. Try it and see you can soon sell it on here if not wanted, use plenty of heat on the lock tited fixings and quite simple to change over. Good luck bu DO try it.

you have just described it perfect, they are a pain in traffic

was yours an 11/32 or 33 ?

Interesting to read this. I have a 2002 1150GS Adventure and I wish my 6th gear was much higher.
change 6th gear for a high overdrive gear, I did it. Rpm a lot lower to. What you getting to a tank now?

Wondering if you’ve still got this 37/11 final drive for sale? I need one for my 1150GS SIDECAR rig

is it not crazy low gearing ?

Don't touch 850 drives I did this and it's so low you can go every where in top gear!!. You need a drive from an 1100 gs (I've used one for years and for modern traffic conditions it;s ideal, I put min e on for a trip from,Alaska to Ushia ( Argentina) including a lot of off roading. Speak to Steptoe he will advise, when I returned I put the original drive back for a week and changed it back!, brilliant mod.

Back
Top Bottom