Clutch slipping in every gear (HELP)

Luke2184

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tossers, so today my 2003 1150gs was slipping in every gear, the bike has the hydraulic clutch system, it only has 32k on it, what’s the most likely cause? Will bleeding the system solve it??

First check the master cylinder hasnt been overfilled.

Have you done anything recently to the bike?
Has it just started to slip without warning ( ie slipping slightly )?

Causes of clutch to slip:
Worn driven plate
Contamination of plates
Poor adjustment.

I feel you could probably rule out he last one as its a hydraulic clutch and cannot be adjusted.

Any oil/fluid under the bike?

No oil under bike, purchased it, serviced it, rose today first time, slipping, the previous owner said the clutch was fine. No oil under bike. I drained the gearbox and replaced the fluid, could that cause something

I’m guessing the previous owner has lied to me, I’m glad I rode it today as I had advertised it for sale but I chose to keep it.

No oil under bike, purchased it, serviced it, rose today first time, slipping, the previous owner said the clutch was fine. No oil under bike. I drained the gearbox and replaced the fluid, could that cause something
When you say fluid I presume you mean oil? JJH

Did you CHECK the Clutch hand guard

If it is catching the end of the clutch lever it is enough to make the clutch slip

The end of the lever should follow the line of the groove in the handguard

Did you ride it before you bought it and did it do it then ???

If not ?? Diagnose the fault just don;t assume its fucked

Take the starter off.
Only two bolts.

Then you can look into the clutch what may be the reason.

If I have the clutch replaced What is a fair price at a garage, I’m not sure I fancy doing it myself. I guess the labour is the most expensive part

Whole clutch kit isn't cheap...

I had similar a while back

In my case it was the handguard I'm ashamed to admit.

It's not such a bad job DIY, just take your time and follow the manual (probably there are better instructions on here). I did mine a few years ago over the course of a couple of days. Overall about 4 hours steady work.

It's not such a bad job DIY, just take your time and follow the manual (probably there are better instructions on here). I did mine a few years ago over the course of a couple of days. Overall about 4 hours steady work.

Yep I’m going to give it ago, time to use the snap on spanner’s.

I had this on my 1150 some years ago. It turned out to be a failed seal on the clutch slave, which was allowing fluid to travel along the release push rod and contaminate the clutch plate. Replaced everything as it's quite a big job and if you are in there you may as well. Cost me about £300 in parts if I recall correctly. Like Cook1e, the job took me a couple of days but that was because I hadn't done the job before and was following the manual. I later did my Brother's bike and it was all done in one day.

Back
Top Bottom