Strapping Down a Hexhead

buncobooth

Reaction score
So I am about to get a couple of ferries with my 2008 GSA:

Genova (Genova) - Olbia (Olbia) Moby Lines

Cagliari (Cagliari) - Palermo (Palermo) Tirrenia

Speaking to them I am getting differing reports about the amount/availability of straps on these crossings so may take my own :( Only Brittany and Stena ferries they use a long strap that goes over the seat which tightens down on the side stand side. The ones I have are like this:

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vint...opper-custom-motorcycle-tie-down-10-0553.html

What is the best way to use these ? I am not sure they are long enough to go over the seat etc. but would you use the crash bars, frame, put them on the same side of the bike or one on each side ?

84" long should be fine for deck to deck over seat using a thick glove (or similar) to protect the seat. Leave in gear and cable tie front brake as said above.

84" long should be fine for deck to deck over seat using a thick glove (or similar) to protect the seat. Leave in gear and cable tie front brake as said above.

I just check measured the bike and am not sure about this. Depending on the location of the anchor points on the deck it might not be enough. I guess in that case one each side through the rear footpeg hanger would be the best. Yes I always leave in gear and bungee the front brake !

I don't thing mine are as long as yours and any ferry I've been on they've been long enough - I always carry two though just incase.

I must have been lucky as i have taken loads of ferries and never carried or used my own straps
and have always found there to be straps of suitable length available . Reading this thread
things could have been different, perhaps i need to re-consider my strategy :nenau

Genova (Genova) - Olbia (Olbia) Moby Lines

Cagliari (Cagliari) - Palermo (Palermo) Tirrenia

They will strap it down for you.
Just ride the bike in.

Speaking to them I am getting differing reports about the amount/availability of straps on these crossings so may take my own :( Only Brittany and Stena ferries they use a long strap that goes over the seat which tightens down on the side stand side. The ones I have are like this:

You're talking to an office bod, who hasn't a fecking clue what happens below decks..

Believe me, they'll have straps, if not straps then ropes, it's a fecking ferry/boat for gods sake. Stop worrying.

I must have been lucky as i have taken loads of ferries and never carried or used my own straps
and have always found there to be straps of suitable length available . Reading this thread
things could have been different, perhaps i need to re-consider my strategy :nenau

It's a major dilemma for these two routes. Brittany and Stena are normally pretty good and very slick and have enough strapping. Some of the smaller routes have straps but at times they are old/rusty/not good or you end up boarding after Bob McTwat and his 1150GSA which is up on the centre stand with the 5 remaining decent straps on it (and yes I have seen this), in which case having your own would be good. On the downside they are 1.5 kg I don't really want to be lugging around for 2 weeks :(

It's a major dilemma for these two routes.

It is not a dilemma for the route you indicated (and 99.9% of ferry routes).
They will strap the bike down.

If you really want to give in paranoia, bring extra padding to put between their strap and your seat.

Having been on the first of these ferries my experience is that, unlike Brittany Ferries, they won't tie the bike down for you and they will only have rope available. However that works fine as, on that route as with Corsica, they seem to like to line the bikes up with the wall on the left so that the bike can sit on its side stand leaning toward the wall. It's then very easy to use the ropes they provide to tie from the right hand footrest (or frame) over the seat and onto the rails that are fixed on the car deck wall; no chance of the bike going anywhere. As Bear Grylls says "If you don't know knots, just do lots". As others have said make sure to leave in gear and zip tie the front brake as well if you really feel necessary.

Don't worry about it, it's all obvious once you are on board and other bikers will happily help out if you need them to (the crew on those routes generally won't in my experience!)

Having been on the first of these ferries my experience is that, unlike Brittany Ferries, they won't tie the bike down for you and they will only have rope available. However that works fine as, on that route as with Corsica, they seem to like to line the bikes up with the wall on the left so that the bike can sit on its side stand leaning toward the wall. It's then very easy to use the ropes they provide to tie from the right hand footrest (or frame) over the seat and onto the rails that are fixed on the car deck wall; no chance of the bike going anywhere. As Bear Grylls says "If you don't know knots, just do lots". As others have said make sure to leave in gear and zip tie the front brake as well if you really feel necessary.

Don't worry about it, it's all obvious once you are on board and other bikers will happily help out if you need them to (the crew on those routes generally won't in my experience!)

I have done the Sardinia and Corsica ferries many years ago and my recollection is that - rope was involved :blast. But yes they are sometimes less than helpful and being able to issue commands at them in their own language does come in useful !

.......Take a car for ultimate peace of mind ..........

I tried doing this, but I found it much more difficult strapping the car to the side rails with the ropes provided.

Next time it's a motorcoach for me and let others do the worrying.....:)

Due to the amount of piss taking in these replies, I think I did not get a response to my original question :D Which was this - if I have to strap down my GSA with a couple of straps that are NOT long enough to go from one side of the bike, over the seat and down (they are only 7 feet long), what is the best way to strap it down ? Assuming I use the side stand, would I need to use two straps, one on each side, both on the stand side, one at the front and one at the back ? Where are the best mounting points - the frame, footpeg hangers, crash bars etc. ?

Let the flaming begin :blast

Due to the amount of piss taking in these replies, I think I did not get a response to my original question :D Which was this - if I have to strap down my GSA with a couple of straps that are NOT long enough to go from one side of the bike, over the seat and down (they are only 7 feet long), what is the best way to strap it down ? Assuming I use the side stand, would I need to use two straps, one on each side, both on the stand side, one at the front and one at the back ? Where are the best mounting points - the frame, footpeg hangers, crash bars etc. ?

Let the flaming begin :blast
You obviously weren't a girl guide, in a previous life.

If, you have two straps that are too short, take one from the rhd rear footrest, over seat, then attach second strap to first strap, and tension.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom