Nav 5 how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock10

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a used nav 5, done a bit of research some say its just a gimmick and about as much us as a chocolate fire guard, other say it ok but very slow.
My bike is fitted with bracket for the BMW nav 5 and also as the wheelie wheel on the handlebar. Done want to buy new as it won't get that much, use, you can pick them up cheap on ebay. Please post your thoughts.
Thanks.

Only problem I have with mine is that every now and again it reboots itself, probably just my unit. Apart from that it’s been great. Does what it’s supposed to do. It integrates well with the thumb wheel. Links my iPhone & the music on the Nav V to my Sena SMH 5. I don’t find it slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and again with me. Have had my Nav5 since I bought the bike a couple of years ago... use it every time I go out and have never had any issue in any weather conditions. I don’t find it slow at all and it does all that it is supposed to.

Bought one returned it and then bought a phone holder. Much better use of money.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

had mine for 5 years now, 2nd hand when I bought it, never missed a beat. Being able to zoom in/out when you go off route is invaluable in my opinion. It lives on the bike, often gets left on there when I wash the bike, it has been soaped, jetwashed and generally abused and still comes back for more.

It's nothing more than a Garmin Zumo 660 rebranded by BMW and a few gimmicks added, use a good mobile or get a Zumo.

The spellchecker on my Nav 5 is excellent. Never had any problems with it.

Looking for a used nav 5, done a bit of research some say its just a gimmick and about as much us as a chocolate fire guard, other say it ok but very slow.
My bike is fitted with bracket for the BMW nav 5 and also as the wheelie wheel on the handlebar. Done want to buy new as it won't get that much, use, you can pick them up cheap on ebay. Please post your thoughts.
Thanks.

I am extremely worried that you have asked this question.

Folk are very sensitive to the user interface on SatNavs.

So those upgrading from an older Garmin or BMW unit might think the Nav5 is great. Other chaps switching from a Tomtom unit or mobile phone app might think the Nav5 is crap.

So what are you using for navigation at the moment?

BMW/Garmin has its own route Planning software called Basecamp. Some folk think it is great and others believe it is the software from hell.

i think its really good - not sure where you are hearing it is "slow" - it works very well.

As noted above, the Nav5 is the Zumo 590 with a modified firmware to integrate it further into the bike. Its fast reacting, fast to re-route when it needs to, connects to my phone and headset, stores music and gives information on how the bike is performing from temperature to MPG and tyre pressure. It handles imported routes from basecamp which, for me, is important when I am out on tour.

Prior to having BMW bikes, I have owned the Zumo 660 (which is the Nav4) and the Zumo 590 (the nav5) and I will say that the 590 is a significant step up from the 660 in terms of performance - so I can only assume there is a similar step-up between the nav4 and the nav5.

I got a 2nd hand one "thrown in" with the deal on my used GSA but i'd certainly have bought one otherwise. My personal opinion is that its an essential bit of kit for the FS / GSA.

As long as you get a good price on it and it has the lifetime updates it’s a good piece of kit.

Like all things you just need to get used to it and the way it does things. Search can be a bit slow so use the app on your phone if you can to find what you want and send it to the unit.

The free safety camera alerts is nice.

It will get you where you want to go with clear instructions and lane guidance etc. I only use mine for foreign or long trips but it has always worked well for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom