2008 1200GS - how many keys?

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Literally just got home after an awesome 130 mile ride home after picking up my new 1200GS. Genuinely beaming from ear to ear!

Can someone let me know how many keys I should have? I’ve got two genuine BMW metal keys, two BMW alarm fobs but no ‘plastic’ key which I’ve read about.

If I should have the plastic key, is it a problem if I don’t?

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Literally just got home after an awesome 130 mile ride home after picking up my new 1200GS. Genuinely beaming from ear to ear!

Can someone let me know how many keys I should have? I’ve got two genuine BMW metal keys, two BMW alarm fobs but no ‘plastic’ key which I’ve read about.

Cheers
Mike

You should have one and you can order one, I don't think they are expensive. It is useful as you can shove it in your wallet/bag/somewhere inconspicuous and use it if you lose it (the other one I mean !).

You can get a spare plastic one from BMW, and keep it in your wallet in case you lose your bike key, and maybe ask the seller if he forgot to give you the plastic one, as it can be used to start the bike.........:beerjug:

I can't see that you need a plastic key, and it's not a problem if you haven't got one - it was the cheapo spare/second key provided by BMW when the bike was new. My 1200ST came with 1 metal and 1 plastic, I had the plastic one converted to a proper metal one by a key-cutting guy on a car forum I use. My current RT came with 2 metal keys - the original owner had had his cheapo one similarly converted.

Pete

You can get a new proper key for very little more than the plastic thing from a dealer. Pop in with your logbook and they'll sort you out.

I had my wallet lifted in Basingstoke years ago with the plastic key in it. Due to my address being on my drivers license in the wallet, I didn't want the theiving scrotes coming to my house and lifting my bike so I got my local BMW bike dealer to disable the missing plastic key in software for a £25 fee.

If your bike is stolen using a legit key you might have insurance woes or even no cover, if this missing key can't be traced I would take your bike with all working keys to BMW and get the missing key disabled.

(Two weeks later plod called to say they had got my wallet, all present and correct except for about £120 in cash.)

Hi everyone,

Cheers
Mike

not sure when the world went to shit...

my 2007 bike got two decent keys....
by 2010 on the K1300 series bikes you get one real key and one bit of plastic shit. BUT this one has the chip coded inside so its vital you have it and keep it safe. Is has ALL the functions of the real key but its just nasty quality and can be used in emergencies.
later keyless go rubbish only get one real fob with alarm buttons built in and one bit of plastic shit. if you place the trash plastic one in your back pocket, you have all the functions of the big fob (alarm extras exluded - but if on auto set then no different)

the two alarm fobs are normal if you have the DWA extra (factory alarm option about £350 fitted) you can code to auto arm (very annoying on the euro tunnel), or beep when you enable etc. but they don't give you any manual… search online

My 1200ST was an '05 bike - 1 metal, 1 plastic supplied from new. My RT is an '06 - the same. But, as I said, it's simple enough to convert the plastic key to a metal one as the transponder within it is removable. So....if you've got 2 metal keys that work, you don't need to have a plastic one as well.

Pete

Cool, cheers everyone!
The bike is on its 4th owner with me - if there was a plastic one it could be anywhere! I’ve checked the toolkit in case it was secreted away there, no joy. It doesn’t matter, I’ll not lose any sleep!

wouldn't loose sleep.... but it does mean the one who has it gets a free bike

Back
Top Bottom