Renaming Shaping Points - New Names Don't Transfer To The nav VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyonthejob

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked many times before.......

I'm using the latest version of Basecamp and although not massively familiar with it i'm managing to make routes i'm happy with.

What i`m not happy with is when I try to rename some of the unannounced shaping points and set them to announce.

Basecamp itself remembers the renamed points but when I upload to my Nav 6 it just shows the original name for these points and totally ignores my name changes.

Is it something i'm doing wrong within the transfer settings ?

Thanks in advance

I have come across the very same issue - it's not possible to see the updated names of the shaping points on the device. The new information displays just fine in Basecamp, but never seems to make it to the device when the route is uploaded. Never got it to work and no one else had a solution.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...date-testing?p=4986632&viewfull=1#post4986632

Thanks for the link. Made for very interesting reading. It answered some of my questions regarding route deviation too. I think I'm just going to have to settle for seeing the original shaping point names once upload !

What happens when you create a waypoint, as opposed to a shaping point which you then rename?

For example, imagine a route that joins a motorway at Junction 1, then goes along (no shaping points necessary) for two junctions, then leaves the motorway at junction four, to a point on a roundabout at the top of the slip road (let’s call it a lay-by) where you have agreed to meet your mate. Plonk a waypoint at that point and (as it’s something you have created) give it a name of your choosing. Now continue the same route back onto the motorway to the next junction and end it there.

Does the ‘lay-by’ waypoint you created (which in reality was nothing more than a shaping point to force the route off the motorway to the lay-by) appear on your device and announce as ‘lay-by’ or not?

In short, why do you want to name shaping points, when a bespoke waypoint will both shape a route and be announced by whatever name you chose to give it?

My dodgy memory says that Ikve encountered this before and the fix is to also change the text in the description of the waypoint as that’s what the device displays. Give it a try, my memory needs a confidence boost :p

As Wappers says, a shaping point only appears as a small blue dot on the device map whilst navigating and is never shown as a name and approach distance so the only time you would see a shaping point name is in the route edit mode on the device. The above should work fine for waypoints though.

I’m still at a loss to understand why someone would want to name shaping points. If the point on the map is more important to the rider than just being a pinprick to force a magenta line along a specific road, then create a bespoke named waypoint from the outset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom