Should I ditch my Hexhead for a 1250??

StewMcGrew

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Hexhead GSA that I'm considering upgrading to a 1250 GSA.

I read the review of someones experiences on a new 1250 (https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-LC-to-1250GS-ADV-my-Verdict-after-6000-miles). Seems they were happy with the improvements but, I've heard some conflicting stories on how people had wished they'd kept their hexheads when upgrading.

I'm guessing alot of it is down to personal choice but what are people thoughts about switching?

If the Px value is low on your 2012 bike... just keep it as a spare bike.

Then you can't lose.

I've recently made a similar move.

Mine was a 2013, owned by me since new and has been totally reliable.

I fancied a change and rode loadsa bikes to see what I fancied before getting a new 1250 TE.

Do I miss the old one?

Not really, apart perhaps from the 'Tonka Toy' build of the old one and the, rather endearing, old stylee agricultural nature of the donk. The new bike is more sophisticated with more stuff crammed in to roughly the same place.

Is the new one better?

Very much so. It's still feels like a boxer, albeit smoother and quite a bit more powerful and flexible. I like the TFT and the additional rider aids including the dynamic ESA that you don't need to send an email to before it gets on with the task. It handles excellently and now has the pace to make it more thrilling in the twisties.

I don't see any real demerits apart from having to pay for the bloody thing:D

Please note I did also change from GSA to GS which was a good move for me.

The old 'un could be a bit of tank at low speeds when loaded, especially as the tyres wore and after riding the standard GS I did wander why I was toting round all that extra weight, ruining the weight distribution and never actually using the extra capacity.

Alongside all the other things I like, I'm enjoying the standard format more than the ADV version.

Anything I don't like about the new one?

One or two of the fixtures and fittings are a bit naff. The brake lever for example looks like it's come out of a lucky bag however that and a few other bits will be sorted in the fullness of time.

I like it and the move, for me was worth it.

I have a 2012 Hexhead GSA that I'm considering upgrading to a 1250 GSA.

I read the review of someones experiences on a new 1250 (https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-LC-to-1250GS-ADV-my-Verdict-after-6000-miles). Seems they were happy with the improvements but, I've heard some conflicting stories on how people had wished they'd kept their hexheads when upgrading.

I'm guessing alot of it is down to personal choice but what are people thoughts about switching?

Picked mine up two days ago can`t stop smiling its awesome !

probably.

the 1250 will feel like its from a different era

I changed from a 2013 super tenere to a 2016 GSA and it was like moving to the starship enterprise. I suspect your move would be even more pronounced. It was better in almost every way - faster, smoother, better ride quality, better brakes, more sophisticated electronics and toys...

If you can afford to make the switch then I cant imagine you would be disappointed or regret it.

Have you ridden a 1250?

@Stew;the 2012 GSA camhead is still a good bike.I enjoyed mine a lot for 5 years and lots of 3-4 week holiday trips.Lots of character but I got bored with 110 hp and the handling got a little wobbly with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2.Too much stick for the poor frame...
So I moved on to the 2017 GSA.I regretted the move because the engine did not really feel faster but had less character.
Now on a 1250GSA the engine has lots of character and TORQUE...no regrets at all:thumby:
Should have gone straight from the 2012 to the 1250...:D
Not to say a R 1400 GSA wouldn't be better...;)

i have a 2018 lc 1200,recently had a 1250 for 3 days and thought it was good but not worth the money to change,today i took out a 1260 multistrada,what a cracking bike ,makes the gs feel like a harley all imo obv

Yes indeed the Multistrada is a cracking bike...especially when it comes to servicing the valvetrain...it will crack your wallet...:D
And yes the 1250 GS has the same torque as a 1800 cc Harley...:thumby:
And yes upgrading from a LC 1170 to a LC 1254/shiftcam is expensive but unfortunately worth it...:beerjug:

Picked mine up two days ago can`t stop smiling its awesome !

You could say the same - about a Romanian hooker..............

(But it’d cost less and it would be an even more awesome ride :rob )

:D

Blackal the 1250GS might be almost as much fun but is much safer when it gets wet with ABS,DTC and No-HIV...;)
I hope you always were your raincoat when traveling in Romania...:D

Might be interested in your redhead dependent on condition of you decide to change.

@Stew;don't ride a 1250GSA if you don't want to spend the money...;) It is (handling & ENGINE) day and night better.Especially from 5000-8000 rpm:thumby:
Much bigger difference than going from 1200 to 1200 LC...:D

I took a 1250 Adventure for a test ride today. Currently ride a highish Mileage 2011 1200 GSA.

1250 is super smooth, sewing machine like compared to my 1200. Lots more powerful - easily a gear or two in it, ie for say the equivalent acceleration from 50-80mph the 1250 does in 5th what my 1200 would do in 3rd (actually prob more like 3rd and a half). Top speed is also way higher. On a short stretch of private 3 lane dual carriageway between Preston and Lancaster top gear roll on from 70 saw 120mph appear in just a few seconds and it was still pulling strongly. Oh and this was with wifey on the back and 3 Ali boxes on the bike. Rock solid too. On the 1200 I think the same thing would have only resulted in about 90mph.

On the back roads around Bowland the 1250 pootled about at low revs pulling cleanly and strongly from 35mph in 6th. This was when the shift cam showed how good it was. Low Revs and light throttle and it just pootles harmlessly along but give it a big handful and bang the shift cam does it’s thing and the torque floods in and it’s off like a scalded cat. Amazing and significantly better than the old 1200.

BUT by the time I handed it back I had decided I didn’t really like it. All a bit too refined. No soul, no character. I like the noise and vibes from my 1200 and its tractorish feel. My 1200 has Wilbers esa and it handles just as well as the 1250 and possibly better when the roads were badly potholed and rough.

You get a lot more tech with the 1250. The tft is good as is gear shift assist. Just boot it up and down the box. The higher the Revs the better it works. Then there’s all the dynamic and pro modes etc etc. Great stuff but debatable whether you really need them. I think I have used the off road settings on my 1200 properly just a few times and changed the asc and abs in anger just as infrequently. I felt like I was potentially paying a lot of money for features I don’t really need.

I suppose it depends on how much the cost to change is. I am looking at a £13,000++ investment to get a 1250 and just don’t see £13000 of betterment. I haven’t finished thinking about it yet but I don’t think I will be buying.

Oh, final comment from the pillion. The seat on the 1250 is more comfortable and more roomy than the 1200 which has Sargent seats. On that basis it may be the case that I will not be allowed to not upgrade to the 1250.

Austin I agree with what you said except the soul & character thing.I thought the 1200LC had less soul and character than the 1200 camhead made between 2010-13.But the new 1250 especially with the Akra EU-3 pipe attached has plenty of boxer soul & character again with lots of torque and deep bassy boom...I love it more than my R9T which has the same engine as the old 2010-13 GS....Would not have said this about the 1200 LC ! THe 1250 too me does not feel that smooth and refined but has the low tractor idle and pull from 1500-8000 rpm.With another 20 hp on top it would be perfect...:thumb
Trade up it is definitely worth it.Life is short and it is only money...;)

Back
Top Bottom