Nice hotel in N Wales or possibly Peaks/Dales

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking for a place to take the g/f for 2 nights at the end of the month .
Three places I’ve tried so far are all full.
I saw that the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel popped up recently .Anybody stayed there and dined in the restaurant ? It looks quite nice.
Any other favs ? Ta.

Vyrnwy is good although owner is a Canadian biker...

Vyrnwy is good although owner is a Canadian biker...

Think I’ll book it. We can then go for a potter on the day off and do what I didn’t get to do last time when I met up with you Tim, ie that triangle route whatever its called up by the Ponderosa.

edited to add that I’ve booked the Vrynwy Hotel.
I’ve just done a search for the thread about routes up and around the Ponderosa but can’t find it.So can someone suggest a route for a day out from Lake Vrynwy ? Up to the Ponderosa and then that triangle route,of which I can’t remember the details ?

264a9d18c6dfaad3e76dbf199182f4b2.jpg

that will be the eve triangle .....https://anygivenreason.com/2017/08/wales-snowdonia-and-the-evo-triangle/

from the Pondy , I would start from your route but at crown pick up the A5 toward Betws y Coed and carry on through Capel curing , Over the Llanberis pass . you will end up near Carnarvon Castle spend some off bike time there ? then follow the coast to Porthmadog and into Dolgellau en route back to your Hotel . If the weathers fine its superb in Snowdonia

A really nice road is the A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd, then you coud ride on to Porthmadog or Betws-y-Coed.
A little bit off your plan but worth it if you tweak your route a bit.

Thanks guys. That sounds perfect,DC.
I’ll have a look on da map !

Ok,sorted,incorporating both ideas,pretty much.
Head up to Ponderosa for a cuppa then ride to Caernarfon for lunch

2b363b58f7c994b92d5424ef084da03a.jpg

Then back this way in the afternoon.

35ffa8d52ef23b84dbe6eafae7c87ab1.jpg

Nice routes Arsey .....if you have been the Ponderosa before and it wasn't good ...From your hotel when you hit the A5 Crossroads near Corwen, turn left towards Betws and just on the left is a place called Rhug Farm, They sell Bison Burgers !!!! but its also a popular bike stop for a brew, would just save you going the Pond to come back ..Up to you though enjoy...post some pics of your travels

From Caernarfon take 4085 to Beddgelert you’ll pass Snowdon on your left @ Rhydd Ddu as already mentioned the a4212 not to be missed if possible keep off main A roads over weekend & further west you go will avoid day trippers

Stayed at Vrynwy for a romantic weekend with Denise a couple of years ago. The food was excellent then.
Mark

Myself and the wife did Lake V last Sept. My thoughts, stunning location, room was fantastic. That was it, the restaurant was very average, my lamb was very chewy. Place was full of coach trips, so rammed. We arrived late afternoon, went into the reception, room wasn't ready, this was 4pm. Went to have a drink, nobody was keen to share a table in the bar as we were in our biking kit, had to sit in the alcove by reception with a drink until the room was ready. I personally wouldn't go back again, there are better options. Could obviously been an off week at the Hotel.

Myself and the wife did Lake V last Sept. My thoughts, stunning location, room was fantastic. That was it, the restaurant was very average, my lamb was very chewy. Place was full of coach trips, so rammed. We arrived late afternoon, went into the reception, room wasn't ready, this was 4pm. Went to have a drink, nobody was keen to share a table in the bar as we were in our biking kit, had to sit in the alcove by reception with a drink until the room was ready. I personally wouldn't go back again, there are better options. Could obviously been an off week at the Hotel.

Arrived last night for 2 nights .
It’s busy but no sign of a coach . Pleasant staff and nice old room . Was a bit underwhelmed by the food to be honest but the view is stunning and I like the pisser...

cfe2eba581838e9455ffbe5489aaf4a1.jpg

Found a very wacky cafe on the way up near Bishops Castle. Only been open 6 months , not that you know it from the decor . Cheap and great cake . Does brek too .

1d34ea4cb70fa7d6e7a228d610bf677c.jpg

4ece24543bffaef187fe9b65a8d77f9f.jpg

Ah ha, Lake Vyrnrnwywy

46c0fbd4d5f49468359c0db3153d680b.jpg

4e5950537af1f15079b3f8373fb60c25.jpg

Arrived last night for 2 nights .
It’s busy but no sign of a coach . Pleasant staff and nice old room . Was a bit underwhelmed by the food to be honest but the view is stunning and I like the pisser...

cfe2eba581838e9455ffbe5489aaf4a1.jpg

Found a very wacky cafe on the way up near Bishops Castle. Only been open 6 months , not that you know it from the decor . Cheap and great cake . Does brek too .

1d34ea4cb70fa7d6e7a228d610bf677c.jpg

4ece24543bffaef187fe9b65a8d77f9f.jpg

Ah ha, Lake Vyrnrnwywy

46c0fbd4d5f49468359c0db3153d680b.jpg

4e5950537af1f15079b3f8373fb60c25.jpg

It would be worth the ride just to take a piss in that porcelain. Any pictures of the shitters. Hoping for a high cistern and chain;:D:beerjug:

Great morning despite the roads being damp and the sun hiding despite the good forecast !

Found the stupid castle

cf766ee34fd79e1602ceb94c382ab5de.jpg

Aidan.
Ta for the lunch recommendation but just having a snack rather than a full blown meal.

great pics Wales is having some rain at present, dont worry bout it, enjoy the views ...

A really nice road is the A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd, then you coud ride on to Porthmadog or Betws-y-Coed.
A little bit off your plan but worth it if you tweak your route a bit.

From Caernarfon take 4085 to Beddgelert you’ll pass Snowdon on your left @ Rhydd Ddu as already mentioned the a4212 not to be missed if possible keep off main A roads over weekend & further west you go will avoid day trippers

Loved both the A4212 and the 4085.
Beddgelert looked a nice place to stay as did Dolgellau.
Stumbled across The National White Water Centre by chance and had a cuppa whilst watching a competition.

My lad , whose a 4 star instructor would have loved it .

Enjoyed the blat back from
Bala on the A470 too but definitely needed my H2 SX for that !!!

513808a832ad9809b4b1656dfc48716d.jpg
73f7a37884b496ced3c07dda02a27305.jpg

e6d5cac8d86c0bf7eb4b136f3d3f1156.jpg

fe9dbb6f170402c830c330e2aafd7b0e.jpg

Now back at Lake Vrynynwywy Hotel and the swallows are back, dive bombing and swooping outside the window . Could watch them all day .
Chill out then beer and dinner . Hopefully the service is a tad better than last night .

It’s a nice hotel but think I’d rather stay in Dolgellau or somewhere similar in a smaller pub next time .

Sincere thanks to all the recommendations. Must go as think someone’s back needs scrubbing in da bath :))

Back
Top Bottom