Regret not optioning ESA on new 1250 GSA!!

Thanks Warlord - That is an answer even an idiot like me can understand...;)
No Wilbers for me !
Too bad Ohlin$ does not make an ESA compatible shock for the GS...
One more question remains though !
How do you get rid of the yellow triangle if you don't want to buy the way overpriced TT ESA fault code overriding plugs ?
Dealers can't erase it on ESA bikes...No ESA no ESA fault code.
ESA to Ohlins TTX will show yellow triangle as my shocks did not include the wizard some people talk about...:D

Thanks Warlord - That is an answer even an idiot like me can understand...;)
No Wilbers for me !
Too bad Ohlin$ does not make an ESA compatible shock for the GS...
One more question remains though !
How do you get rid of the yellow triangle if you don't want to buy the way overpriced TT ESA fault code overriding plugs ?
Dealers can't erase it on ESA bikes...No ESA no ESA fault code.
ESA to Ohlins TTX will show yellow triangle as my shocks did not include the wizard some people talk about...:D

No worries, well I spell it out because you never know who else may be reading these posts in the future !! :D

These are the ESA Blanking Plugs I got.

They simply plug into the ESA sockets and voila.... no more yellow triangle. All good.

You can cycle through the ESA settings but obviously nothing happens. :comfort

Attachments

• Ohlins3.jpg
    Ohlins3.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 296
  • Ohlins4.jpg
    Ohlins4.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 268
My bike with Ohlins fitted :D

I had the Ohlins spring custom painted BLACK to match my bike. Because I'm a tart. :D

Attachments

• Ohlins Finished1.jpg
    Ohlins Finished1.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 276
  • Ohlins Finished3.jpg
    Ohlins Finished3.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 289
Fully Loaded Ohlins on Tour was good as well :thumb2

Pre-load was on MAX :augie

Attachments

• Ohlins Finished4.jpg
    Ohlins Finished4.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 305
yeah you're probably right - but i am speaking from experience - i own a GSA 'XE' model - albeit one which was BMW's press bike and has every option added (bar the LED headlights, oddly) - and i bought it under a year old for peanuts - and i mean thousands, not hundreds, less than an equivalent TE, but my XE with all those options would be within spitting distance of a TE price when new.

I also know, though, that its trade-in value will be seriously dented as main dealers simply don't want any "non-TE' on the forecourt as they can't shift them! I have to remind myself how little i paid for the bike when i got it - but there's no way i'd order a new one like that.

I notice there's some prices mentioned above - i know what i paid for mine from a main dealer - and it was thousands less than that i'm afraid

Respectfully, one key difference between a BMW press bike and mine, is that I have meticulously and lovingly run my bike in. A genuine one owner / rider machine. Not one which has been thrashed senseless by a million different bike journos and test riders! :) If you can find a one private owner, 2 month old GSA 1250 with the aforementioned options and 700 miles for less than £14k, I will employ you to be my vehicle finder. :)

Respectfully, one key difference between a BMW press bike and mine, is that I have meticulously and lovingly run my bike in. A genuine one owner / rider machine. Not one which has been thrashed senseless by a million different bike journos and test riders! :) If you can find a one private owner, 2 month old GSA 1250 with the aforementioned options and 700 miles for less than £14k, I will employ you to be my vehicle finder. :)

I bet the Press bike rides better than yours though

All the ex demo BMW GS bikes I have bought have been belters and ridden superbly

All the better for being thrashed by dozens of riders

All the ex demo BMW GS bikes I have bought have been belters and ridden superbly

I agree......it probably does ride better if it has the ESA. We know there are different schools of thought on what is optimum for running bikes in (these days). My point is that press bikes / demos etc are abused (from cold) and generally hammered by multiple riders. Same goes for all the demos at BMW dealers. Any used bikes I have bought, have always been one owner examples from private owners where you can see with your own eyes what they are about versus the anonymity of buying a used bike from a dealer. Regardless, every bike has a value / market within a floor <> ceiling range.

We know there are different schools of thought on what is optimum for running bikes in (these days).

My point is that press bikes / demos etc are abused (from cold) and generally hammered by multiple riders.

Same goes for all the demos at BMW dealers.

Any used bikes I have bought, have always been one owner examples from private owners where you can see with your own eyes what they are about versus the anonymity of buying a used bike from a dealer.

I disagree
The motors on demo/press bikes go like stink, use no oil and generally give little or no warranty problems

Have you ever seen modern bikes being made on a production line?

I have

Once built and on final QC checks, all of the bikes are redlined through all the gears and then do a prolonged high speed run in top for 2-3 minutes on a dyno

Oil is dropped out of them onto a special pan, visually checked

If all is good .....Then they are refilled with new oil, then sent off to be crated up for warehouse despatch

So much for you 'carefully running in' the bike - it's already had its arse spanked

You're all idiots.

Running in a new bike isn't just about the engine.

It's about running in the tyres, the brake discs, the brake pads, seals and rings, general shake down ready for 600 mile checkover.

You start fucking about trying to stop from high speeds the discs can warp, or pads glase over, tyres need heat cycling for the correct molecular bonding.... etc So it's recommended you keep the speeds low until it's all sorted.

Theres more to it than the engine.

You're all idiots.

Running in a new bike isn't just about the engine.

It's about running in the tyres, the brake discs, the brake pads, seals and rings, general shake down ready for 600 mile checkover.

You start fucking about trying to stop from high speeds the discs can warp, or pads glase over, tyres need heat cycling for the correct molecular bonding.... etc So it's recommended you keep the speeds low until it's all sorted.

Theres more to it than the engine.

The ex demo BMW bikes I bought had new tyres fitted before resale - what should I do ?

If the demo bike discs are warped or another issue, it's corrected before resale

One I bought wasn't serviced at 600 miles by the dealer - it was done and recorded at 2200 miles - never suffered at all and didn't have any warranty issues whatsoever

Since my ownership, it has been resold here at least twice so still going strong

Babying a new bike is a myth - rev it and don't labour it and give it some stick

I always have a 'spirited' ride when I take out a demo bike = more fun

The ex demo BMW bikes I bought had new tyres fitted before resale - what should I do ?

If the demo bike discs are warped or another issue, it's corrected before resale

One I bought wasn't serviced at 600 miles by the dealer - it was done and recorded at 2200 miles - never suffered at all and didn't have any warranty issues whatsoever

Since my ownership, it has been resold here at least twice so still going strong

Babying a new bike is a myth - rev it and don't labour it and give it some stick

I always have a 'spirited' ride when I take out a demo bike = more fun

I agree about the engine part... just get on and enjoy it.

But for brand new showroom owners, be mindful of the tyres, brakes, seals, bolts.... makes sense to not go mad in case there is an issue somewhere on the bike.

600 miles can be done in a couple of weekends, so not exactly a long time to wait before it's checked over and you can go crazy on it :D

He could do that, but would still need the Original oem ESA shocks as a donor, the TT are built up from scratch, not just the shock and spring, it is a lot more.

No, Tractive also do complete replacement units including Electronic Preload Adjusters. I am just looking at pulling the plug on a pair for my hexhead.

And respectfully, the reason you won’t find one for 14k is cos no one buys them without ESA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had to dig to find it was a press bike - although the blob of paint on every single bolt gave away that it had been “prepped”

13k today

That s decent offer. More than I paid for mine certainly.

It’s your bike mate. I’m not trying to be arsey. I’m sorry if I came across that way.

That s decent offer. More than I paid for mine certainly.

It’s your bike mate. I’m not trying to be arsey. I’m sorry if I came across that way.

Presumably yours is a 2018 GSA? They were about £1000 cheaper than the 1250s I think. Anyway, all deals vary as you know - with dealers making their margins at both ends of the deal....OR not depending on multiple other motives and variables! I part exchanged my 2017 GS TE for a notional 12k against the GSA. I previously bought a new 2017 GSA TE for £15500 (factoring the part exchange number and 'cost to change'). Everything has a bottom line. (I should add I have bought 4 new bmw bikes since 2017!)

Presumably yours is a 2018 GSA? They were about £1000 cheaper than the 1250s I think. Anyway, all deals vary as you know - with dealers making their margins at both ends of the deal....OR not depending on multiple other motives and variables! I part exchanged my 2017 GS TE for a notional 12k against the GSA. I previously bought a new 2017 GSA TE for £15500 (factoring the part exchange number and 'cost to change'). Everything has a bottom line. (I should add I have bought 4 new bmw bikes since 2017!)

You’re right - there’s always an angle, always a motive.

As for your original question - I think you might as well keep it and see how you get on with it. You might grow to love it. And if you don’t then I guess you could run it all summer and probably still get pretty much that offer with a couple thousand miles on it. What have you got to lose by trying it.

Back
Top Bottom