Intermittent fault

worthy

Reaction score
Moved from Nav V to Nav VI section

I’ve recently bought a new R1250GS fitted with a Nav 6. On my recent trip to Spain, it would sometimes shut off for no reason, restart and would say searching for satellites and would not find them. Resolved by removing from cradle, leaving it for an hour and then refitting to cradle again and starting it again. Other occasions the sat Nav shuts down and restarts. Don’t think it’s the cradle as the battery on the unit was on maximum charge.

Any thoughts on the cause. ����

That sounds like exactly the same problem I had with one of my Navigator IV’s. In short, the electrical gubbins within the device that allows it to find and to lock onto satellites had failed or was on the way out. The device was out of warranty but Garmin UK were kind enough to exchange it for me.

Question to you: Does the device work normally if you run it out of the cradle?

Mine didn’t. If yours does, then the problem would seem to lie, not with the device but with the cradle and / or the bike’s connections with the cradle. If it fails off the bike too, then it’s the device. Try changing the SD card for a brand new one, straight out of the packet. If that fixes the problem reliably, job done. If it doesn’t then, like mine, it’s the device’s internal workings.... and a call to Garmin.

The fault is intermittent and happens about 6 times in a weeks touring in Spain recently.

Without removing the back of the device I cannot see how to remove the SD card. The unit is only 2 months old so I’ll probably take it back to the dealer to sort out

Do you have the Nav V (whose section you are in) or the Nav VI?

If the latter, there is a very good chance there is no SD card in the device, unless one was added to hold music. Why? Because the device has a larger internal memory than other models, rendering (for now at least) unnecessary if the owner only wants to run maps. Instructions on how to install SD cards are available via the owner’s manuals for all models.

As you say, take it back to the dealership.

Thanks for the info. Sorry it’s in wrong section, it is a Nav 6. I’ll,let you know what happens when I take it back to the dealer

I’m taking mine back to the dealer this week. They want todo a diagnostic check, but I think it’s a problem with the unit itself, as the unit is filly charged when I get the fault fully. The dealer also asked me to bring the bars and stuff it came with.... Will let you know what the outcome is

I’m taking mine back to the dealer this week. They want todo a diagnostic check, but I think it’s a problem with the unit itself, as the unit is filly charged when I get the fault fully. The dealer also asked me to bring the bars and stuff it came with.... Will let you know what the outcome is

I tried my old nav 5 on the bike and that switched off after about 20 mins....never a problem on old 1200 but both the nav 5 and 6 are turning off on 1250...... I’m trying to work out if it’s when I switch from tft to sat nav .....

Had a similar problem on my 2016 GS. It was due to water ingress in to the cradle. Stripped it open, cleaned the circuit board and liberally coated it with Corrosion Block. Problem never reappeared.

Be a bit unhappy with that if that's the case with mine. It's a brand new bike and not used in the rain....

Went back to Dick Lovett. Today. Excellent service no messing around they gave me a new sat nav. All ok at present ����

Back
Top Bottom