Helmets onboard aircraft

OK, I haven't flown Ryanair for about 20 years and only ever taken a lid on BA. I did say "if I were you" and that's what I would have done (until I saw your post). :blast
I've not used ryanair for about the same length of time. :thumb2 While i'm on strong meds - they're not THAT strong i could cope.:blast :D

:beerjug:

Despite what people say about Ryanair (including myself) they aren't that bad. As far as goes it will be a bit bigger in 1 dimension and much smaller in the other 2. If your not taking the piss with too many other bags you shouldn’t have a problem. Around the time of the motorcycle show at the NEC every flight I’ve been on has helmets galore. I’ve seen locks and chains and tools refused at security. JJH

I carried mine on it wasn't an issue at all.

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Another tip is don’t bd Mr eager at the front of the q. Hang back a bit. JJH

:jes
Have you ever tried to speak to a real human being in ryanair?
IF you actually succeed you will get one definitive answer from one person on the phone / contradicted by the opposite definitive answer from the staff at check in and no hope whatsoever of getting anything in writing.
Yes - i have tried. :banghead:

My philosophy is if you can’t live with the answer, don’t ask the question.

Tom

Hello all,

As title really.

Has anyone had any experience of taking a helmet on a Ryanair flight as hand luggage ?

I’m doing a fly ride in southern France in august and would rather not check it in.

I communicated in an online chat with one of their customer service advisors who helpfully advised me that it would have to fit into a piece of hand luggage. The sizes given on their website are ‘a guide only’

It’s an Arai Tour X-4 if that makes a difference.

Grateful for any advice/experience.

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be fine. Not used Ryanair but have taken helmet on smaller aircraft regularly with no issue. Just get a helmet bag, It’ll fit easily in the overheard locker of a 737 or similar.

I was wondering same for a trip with BA (grrr…) in June.

The helmets have comms so presumably lithium batteries and would need to be hand luggage. For me question would be is this in addition to hand luggage allowance as does it use the allowance and I have to stuff things inside of it ?!

No problem on Ryanair when I did it before lockdown, worth buying a padded bag though. If they complain then tell them you’ll happily wear it. In the ski season loads of people take their ski helmets on board.

I have done it in the past when buying new lids in Germany (my bribe for going to the Christmas markets) and both Ryanair and Easyjet were fine BUT since then they have become very arsey about the exact size of cabin luggage and you may be faced with turning up for the flight and getting to the check in to be told that your luggage item will have to go into the hold (ofcourse at an extra cost) and it will then be in a very unprotected and vulnerable state (we used to do work at a local airport and saw exactly how badly baggage handlers would treat items ,same with some very over zealous Customs officials .

Better to pack the lids in their own case with plenty of protection and put them in the hold (at least they stand a fighting chance )

I flew Dublin to Heathrow on Sunday on Aer Lingus with a Tour-X4 as carry on luggage with no bother at all. Can't see it being a problem on Ryanair to be honest.

Having flown with Ryanair a few times recently and seen how vigorously they apply their policy on the size of hand luggage your will have a problem and be relieved of £55 to take it on board if you book their most basic fare. Better to pay the extra to take a cabin bag with you onto the plane.

I guess it one of those things where it’s of no benefit to them to say no problem in advance - Worse case is you say you’ll wear it, be daring and go for it

25" x 40" x 20" is their policy.

If the helmet is contained within those dimensions, it is acceptable, unless you pay extra.

Any leniency away from this depends on the staff on the day, who I've found generally to be inflexible.

Back
Top Bottom