Yet Another Oil Question (Oil Consumption - R 1200 GS 2018).

oddjob

Reaction score
When previously touring Spain and Portugal in June / July, my old Hexhead Twin-Cam regularly used 0.5 Ltr of oil per 3,000 miles.
Consequently, with this expectation, I'd always take 0.5 Ltr of the BMW approved oil.

What is the general consensus of experience regarding R 1200 GS oil consumption, especially in hot temperatures?
Should I expect the necessity to top-up and if so, by what quantity?

Thank you in anticipation of your learned replies. :)
:bow

It's common. I always take a litre away with me on trips.

In heatwaves and very hot climates, it would not hurt to have at least a litre in the pannier, especially if fully loaded and pulling up hills quite often, just my opinion, however my LC uses no oil that I can see.

Pardon me but I haven’t traveled very far on my bike. Anywhere I have traveled I have always seen oil for sale in 1 liter packs where I buy petrol. Is it really necessary to actually carry extra oil with you on the bike? JJH

Pardon me but I haven’t traveled very far on my bike. Anywhere I have traveled I have always seen oil for sale in 1 liter packs where I buy petrol. Is it really necessary to actually carry extra oil with you on the bike? JJH

Its finding that pesky 5w40 to BMW standards in the petrol stations in Spain and Portugal.

Mine was doing 0.5 ltrs inbetween services.. but having ragged it about somewhat since my ownership, it does appear to be holding the level now :)

I'd not bother taking any TBH, any good spec full synthetic (for wet clutch) will do to top up and if you can't get 5w40 im sure 10w40 would be fine in hot places...

Don't make this mistake. I have spent ages looking for oil on holidays (10/50 or 15/50 for the hexhead). Some countries have it in every fuel station, and some don't. Normally end up finding a dealer somewhere. But the new bikes use 5/40 which is even harder to find I think.

Don't make this mistake. I have spent ages looking for oil on holidays (10/50 or 15/50 for the hexhead). Some countries have it in every fuel station, and some don't. Normally end up finding a dealer somewhere. But the new bikes use 5/40 which is even harder to find I think.

Tis what I said...........:beerjug:

Tis what I said...........:beerjug:

I was reiterating what you said. I remember stopping at every fuel station in Austria, no good. Then 2 mins over the Slovakian border the first station had every grade you could wish for, very strange !

I was reiterating what you said. I remember stopping at every fuel station in Austria, no good. Then 2 mins over the Slovakian border the first station had every grade you could wish for, very strange !

Yep totally agree, however I think JJH uses car oil in his tractor..........;)

When I was in Ireland doing the Wild Atlantic Way, motorbike oil - no chance, milking machine oil - every petrol station !

Interesting.. thats where I'm off Saturday.. so may be worth taking 0.5 ltrs just in case LOL

My hex head was similar however my 2015 LC has never required topping up between services regardless of temperatures or how it was driven / loaded.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

My previous Hexhead didn't use oil but my current one is.......go figure!

Sent from a U11

On almost 6000 hard miles on a just broken in by the book brand new 1250 GS oil consumption is ZERO.
Same with my former 2017 R1200GS.
Run MOTUL 7100 5-40...
My 2016 R9T will use 0,5 L every 1000 miles under the same treatment...with Motul 7100 15-50
The LC boxers use no oil...:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom