Extended warranty

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

Just looking for some informed opinions please.

My wife has a 14 plate GS which she bought from a dealer with a 2 year warranty and that is coming to an end. She has done 12k trouble free miles in the last 2 years - her average is usually between 6K and 10K miles a year. The bike now has 24K miles on the clock.

To extend the warranty it will cost £397.85 for 1 year.

I realise nobody has a crystal ball but are there any expensive well known faults that might need doing over the next year or so? As an example her previous F800 GS needed a new stator at 55k miles - something we found out was a common fault and expensive to fix.

If the bike is good for another 2 - 3 years then that’s 8 - 1200 £s which is more than enough for a final drive rebuild or whatever - that’s assuming the price will not increase.

Many thanks
D

Last edited:
Hi

Just looking for some informed opinions please.

My wife has a 14 plate GS which she bought from a dealer with a 2 year warranty and that is coming to an end. She has done 12k trouble free miles in the last 2 years - her average is usually between 6K and 10K miles a year. The bike now has 24K miles on the clock.

To extend the warranty it will cost £397.85 for 1 year.

I realise nobody has a crystal ball but are there any expensive well known faults that might need doing over the next year or so? As an example her previous F800 GS needed a new stator at 55k miles - something we found out was a common fault and expensive to fix.

If the bike is good for another 2 - 3 years then that’s 8 - 1200 £s which is more than enough for a final drive rebuild or whatever - that’s assuming the price will not increase.

Many thanks
D

If your keeping bike long term then I would suggest that it could turn out to be good value purchasing extended warranty. You would kick yourself if worse happens and you don't have extended warranty. Read quite a few stories on here where extended warranties have been very worthwhile.

can I ask - do you get a choice of warranty cover?

with the cars they do three levels:
Driveline - engine and gearbox basically
Named component - engine, gearbox, electrics, ecu, other named parts
comprehensive - everything

then there is an option of excess - £0, £100, £250

theres also the recover service or "BMW assist" which you can take or leave.

various options impact the price - I was wondering if the warranty on bikes is a simple "take it or leave it" or if there are options?

I thought long and hard about this when my original two year warranty expired. In the end I did it and paid extra for £0 excess - an extra quid per week. That way, I can get any little thing that arises dealt with without having to stump up the excess. Plus there's European breakdown, etc.

I didnt take extended cover,i never do.
My out of warantee costs over 3 years amounted to £40 on my LC.
I can do all my own maintenance and there is lots of second hand parts available if there was a major failure.

So, if you had put £400 a year into a savings account for every year your other half has ridden a motorcycle, factoring in an extra £400 for any year a 2nd bike was owned, would this cover the cost of any unexpected repairs?

I have been riding since 1992 and my answer is a definite yes, to the extent that my latest purchase of a 2 year old S1000XR was bought from the proceeds.

BMW would not offer the insurance product if they did not make millions from it each year. Cut out the middle man and self insure.

So, if you had put £400 a year into a savings account for every year your other half has ridden a motorcycle, factoring in an extra £400 for any year a 2nd bike was owned, would this cover the cost of any unexpected repairs?

I have been riding since 1992 and my answer is a definite yes, to the extent that my latest purchase of a 2 year old S1000XR was bought from the proceeds.

BMW would not offer the insurance product if they did not make millions from it each year. Cut out the middle man and self insure.

I think it’s quite a difficult decision. These things have some outrageously expensive parts on them.

I usually warranty the cars, I’ve driven BMW cars for 20+ years. I’ve barely had a problem to be honest, except very recently the lcd clocks on my 640d failed. The part alone was £2,200! Not like it’s a part you can “do without” either. My bike comes out of warranty in September. I’m not sure what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s not a warranty at all. It’s a insurance policy with loads of exclusions. Factor in the good will out of warranty repairs that BMW are good at and you have a bit of head scratching to do. Read the exclusions before deciding. JJH

We are coming to the same conclusion but it is pot luck.
She has had a warranty only once before but that was a new bike and there was no option to extend the warranty. She had it for 10 years and it was faultless but it was a Yamaha :augie

She had an F800 for 3 1/2 years when the stator went so by not having a warranty she was around £250 better off - if you see what I mean :blast
But if the stator had gone the year before then she’d have saved over £1K with a warranty.

I guess as insurance goes it’s very expensive. I think it’s around £200 to insure her bike and if it’s written off she gets 8 - 10K :nenau

JJH - seems to me that BMW goodwill in Eire is a lot better than the UK.

Thanks for all your thoughts :thumby:

I took out an extended warranty. A few months ago.
Pleased I did as I had a final drive issue. All covered on extended warranty !! It’s already paid for its self.
No brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A chums 17 plate Rallye developed a misfire at tickover and a weird rattle at 3500 rpm on a big ride over the last weekend. He got it into the dealer yesterday who have diagnosed internal damage in the RH cylinder. It's under the original warranty still, and a new engine has been indicated. He's always bought extended warranties on a long line of GSs and I guess will carry on doing so.

You'll hear plenty stories about expensive failures.
What you don't hear is the multitude of folk that have no issues.
When assessing risk, knowing how many bikes fail - without knowing the number that don't, is meaningless.

As with any insurance, ask yourself, "Can I afford to fix it if it fails?".
If you can, don't take the insurance.
If you can't, take the insurance.

The other consideration is the requirement that the bike must be serviced by a VAT registered garage/mechanic - these bikes aren't that difficult to carry out routine servicing.

That too adds cost to the equation.

My friends bike was fixed under the extended warrantee , it was a 13 plate , original had run out , he extended it the following year the engine blew up.
The engine was replaced along with other bits and the final bill was huge , but no cost to him , I think its worth it .

My friends bike was fixed under the extended warrantee , it was a 13 plate , original had run out , he extended it the following year the engine blew up.
The engine was replaced along with other bits and the final bill was huge , but no cost to him , I think its worth it .

many of these early failures would be covered by consumer legislation as an engine should be durable for more than a 2 (or 3 now) year warranty period at a mean annual mileage for the typical consumer

You'll hear plenty stories about expensive failures.
What you don't hear is the multitude of folk that have no issues.
When assessing risk, knowing how many bikes fail - without knowing the number that don't, is meaningless.

Good advice.
Mine is a 13 plate brought with the two year warranty from a dealer. It finishes next month too and I was debating what to do.

In the past year I’ve had the headers replaced due to a sticking valve. Ok could have ignored that, but the headlight also failed and that’s £700 to replace.

The advice about is enough to tip me into going for the extended cover.

many of these early failures would be covered by consumer legislation as an engine should be durable for more than a 2 (or 3 now) year warranty period at a mean annual mileage for the typical consumer

This may be the case , but it was delt with no problems , delays or the need to involve an outside party .

Back
Top Bottom