Macna Dry Cooling Vest Evo

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last year I ordered a Macna Dry Cooling Vest Evo.... and waiting two months for it to arrive as it was out of stock..... so I didn't get to use it before the weather turned cold again.

BUT, this year.... out it came today. Anyone else got one?

Had a good chance to use it in the Sun and it works great.

It keeps dry, but the water inside keeps your torso a lot cooler while riding. It uses evaporative cooling to keep the temps down, so the environment mustn't be humid. Ideal for UK heat.

Anyways, thought I'd give it a big thumbs up, and will be my go-to vest in this summer heat :cool:

Even been wearing it around the house !!

(I layered Marino Wool T-Shirt, then the Macna Cool Vest, then my Klim Badlands or Klim Induction jacket)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/397320

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Last year I ordered a Macna Dry Cooling Vest Evo.... and waiting two months for it to arrive as it was out of stock..... so I didn't get to use it before the weather turned cold again.

BUT, this year.... out it came today. Anyone else got one?

Had a good chance to use it in the Sun and it works great.

It keeps dry, but the water inside keeps your torso a lot cooler while riding. It uses evaporative cooling to keep the temps down, so the environment mustn't be humid. Ideal for UK heat.

Anyways, thought I'd give it a big thumbs up, and will be my go-to vest in this summer heat :cool:

Even been wearing it around the house !!

(I layered Marino Wool T-Shirt, then the Macna Cool Vest, then my Klim Badlands or Klim Induction jacket)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/397320

:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

Looks good but would be no use in Portugal or Spain as weather is more humid, just my opinion but I find a good wicking tee shirt and a good jacket to actually stop the heat getting in first works the best for me, certainly would not want to loose liquids and get dried out.....;)

I was in Arches National Park in Utah in 2012 and was chatting to a couple of Americans who had cooling vests which were filled with gel. You stuck them in the freezer overnight and they were still cool in the desert at 40+ degree temperatures eight hours later. My wife tried one on and was very impressed, but I can’t remember the brand.

If you don’t have a cooling vest, pouring water over your T-shirt helps as it does the job of your sweat without the loss of fluids i.e. you cool as the water evaporates

If you don’t have a cooling vest, pouring water over your T-shirt helps as it does the job of your sweat without the loss of fluids i.e. you cool as the water evaporates

That’s the method I use, and it’s very effective. I use it with my mesh jacket, as it lets the air flow through to evaporate the water. Just stop and repeat when needed.

Spain and Portugal can be very hot and dry, when the Wind is blowing from the West, the wind from the East is the humid one.

I was in Arches National Park in Utah in 2012 and was chatting to a couple of Americans who had cooling vests which were filled with gel. You stuck them in the freezer overnight and they were still cool in the desert at 40+ degree temperatures eight hours later. My wife tried one on and was very impressed, but I can’t remember the brand.

That’s the method I use, and it’s very effective. I use it with my mesh jacket, as it lets the air flow through to evaporate the water. Just stop and repeat when needed.

Spain and Portugal can be very hot and dry, when the Wind is blowing from the West, the wind from the East is the humid one.

Yes, I have both Macna WET and DRY vests.

Last year I was using the WET vest. You freeze gel pouches and insert them in the vest.... then soak the vest in water.

Very effective even if not much airflow as it kept your skin cool. However, they do dry out fast on a motorcycle with constant hot airflow. So have to keep wetting them every 20-30 minutes. AND you are constantly WET THROUGH.

This year I'm trying the DRY vest. You never get soaking wet as its all internal. The water is sealed but still against your skin. So as you heat up, the heat is transferred to the water... keeping you cool. Eventually the water evaporates taking the heat with it... but you stay cool.

Its the same technology Elon Musk will apply to his new Stainless Steel SpaceX Starship on re-entry to keep the spacecraft skin cool. Water will flow through the spacecraft skin and absorb heat, evaporation through the skin taking away the heat. It's proven technology.

You only need 600ml of water... it lasts a lot longer than the wet system, and you don't actually get wet :D

When I tried it yesterday it was very effective. My back felt cold compared to outside temps, even with the Klim Badlands jacket all done up in the sunshine. was like air conditioning :D

I wear cool-max or cool-T base layer when it's hot, either a one piece or separates. It works by a similar method - taking advantage of the cooling effect of the latent heat of evaporation of liquid - and has a wicking effect so the layer immediately next to your skin doesn't feel wet apart from in extreme conditions. Also, if it turns cold, it also keeps you warmer.

I keep the base layer wet when necessary through a self-regulating process of exuding water from my skin. It's called sweating. There's a chance of exhausting the supply of liquids but it's very easy to keep topped up as I am blessed with a natural mechanism for doing this. It's called drinking. If its really hot, I'll soak a t-shirt or neck tube in water and use that as well.

If I was regularly crossing deserts or riding where the temprateure exceeds 40 celcius I'd consider a high tech solution. Until then, I'll put this in the "they must have seen you coming" category. :D

I wear cool-max or cool-T base layer when it's hot, either a one piece or separates. It works by a similar method - taking advantage of the cooling effect of the latent heat of evaporation of liquid - and has a wicking effect so the layer immediately next to your skin doesn't feel wet apart from in extreme conditions. Also, if it turns cold, it also keeps you warmer.

I keep the base layer wet when necessary through a self-regulating process of exuding water from my skin. It's called sweating. There's a chance of exhausting the supply of liquids but it's very easy to keep topped up as I am blessed with a natural mechanism for doing this. It's called drinking. If its really hot, I'll soak a t-shirt or neck tube in water and use that as well.

If I was regularly crossing deserts or riding where the temprateure exceeds 40 celcius I'd consider a high tech solution. Until then, I'll put this in the "they must have seen you coming" category. :D

Yep, done all that too.

These Macna Dry vests work, so you stick to your money saving approach, and I'll reap the benefits you clearly don't see.

Good for you :D

Back
Top Bottom