Tested a 1250

Piggers

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst my car was in for a service, to kill some time I took a 1250 out for a test ride and as soon as i got home I took out my 2018 1200 Rallye TE
(Both similar mileages on them.)

These were my findings:
The 1250 feels slightly quicker, as you would expect. It appeared to be a little less vibey than my 1200 at around 80mph.
The bike felt slightly different to ride, but then I realised that the handlebars were in further forward position. ( i was surprised how different it felt).
One good thing about the test was the bike was fitted with Bridgestone Battleaxes and these appeared a lot better than the Anakees fitted to my 1200, will consider replacing with these when the time comes to change.
Oddly enough the suspension feels better on my 1200 ? The brakes feel stronger on my 1200. The 1250 appeared to be a little noisier (Exhaust note).

Conclusion.
Although the 1250 engine feels slightly better (No flat spot around 5000 rpm and more power) I did not feel the difference was enough to warrant changing my 1200 any time soon.

Cheers Piggers

I found Anakee 3s to be fine. Until riding in the wet on slimy autumn Surrey roads. I couldn't get rid fast enough.

Do you have the sports suspension which is the ADV Teleleverarm + 20 mm longer/stiffer shocks from the ADV on your Rally ?
Otherwise the suspension on the 2018 vs 2019 is the same.
Brembo vs Hayes brakes are also identical in feel and stopping power but the Hayes are a ltitle less spongy and have less travel before they bike.So a slight plus for the Hayes but I still wished they would have gone with 320mm rotors like on the rest of the boxers.
And believe me the 1250 engine has much more TORQUE and feels much more powerful than the 1200 from 5000-8000 rpm ! Much stronger acceleration and roo-on !as also mechanically quieter/less clatter from the valvetrain than the 1200.I can compare because I had 18 000 miles on my 2017 and now 6000 miles on my 2019...
A short test drive does not tell the whole story !
The engine is a big improvent as also the less spong brakes that still could bite harder and get 320 mm rotors !
A different routed exhaust for 2 full size bags would be nice too !
And of course 1400 cc for even more torque and top-end...:D

:D

Like this?

A6K5-50796-XL.jpg

A6K5-50797-XL.jpg

Ref the Ankees

i also find the fine for most riding, I only notice them loosing grip when braking hard into tight bends or accelerating hard out of tight bends. People keep mentioning the noise, but i can't say I have noticed them to be any noisier than any other tyres.

Cheers,
Piggers

Do you have the sports suspension which is the ADV Teleleverarm + 20 mm longer/stiffer shocks from the ADV on your Rally ?
Otherwise the suspension on the 2018 vs 2019 is the same.
Brembo vs Hayes brakes are also identical in feel and stopping power but the Hayes are a ltitle less spongy and have less travel before they bike.So a slight plus for the Hayes but I still wished they would have gone with 320mm rotors like on the rest of the boxers.
And believe me the 1250 engine has much more TORQUE and feels much more powerful than the 1200 from 5000-8000 rpm ! Much stronger acceleration and roo-on !as also mechanically quieter/less clatter from the valvetrain than the 1200.I can compare because I had 18 000 miles on my 2017 and now 6000 miles on my 2019...
A short test drive does not tell the whole story !
The engine is a big improvent as also the less spong brakes that still could bite harder and get 320 mm rotors !
And of course 1400 cc for even more torque and top-end...:D

Ah you may have hit the nail on the head ref the suspension, my Rallye has the slightly longer travel. I prefer mine. Regarding the brakes, my 1200 brakes feel a lot less spongy, so perhaps the demo bike ones needed bleeding ?
I will keep my 1200 until it 3 year warranty has expired and then get the new 1300 :D

Cheers,
Piggers

Ah you may have hit the nail on the head ref the suspension, my Rallye has the slightly longer travel. I prefer mine. Regarding the brakes, my 1200 brakes feel a lot less spongy, so perhaps the demo bike ones needed bleeding ?
I will keep my 1200 until it 3 year warranty has expired and then get the new 1300 :D

Cheers,
Piggers

Could be those dang Yankee calipers again but let's not start the 1250 brakes debate again ........... please.

Whilst my car was in for a service, to kill some time I took a 1250 out for a test ride and as soon as i got home I took out my 2018 1200 Rallye TE
(Both similar mileages on them.)

These were my findings:
The 1250 feels slightly quicker, as you would expect. It appeared to be a little less vibey than my 1200 at around 80mph.
The bike felt slightly different to ride, but then I realised that the handlebars were in further forward position. ( i was surprised how different it felt).
One good thing about the test was the bike was fitted with Bridgestone Battleaxes and these appeared a lot better than the Anakees fitted to my 1200, will consider replacing with these when the time comes to change.
Oddly enough the suspension feels better on my 1200 ? The brakes feel stronger on my 1200. The 1250 appeared to be a little noisier (Exhaust note).

Conclusion.
Although the 1250 engine feels slightly better (No flat spot around 5000 rpm and more power) I did not feel the difference was enough to warrant changing my 1200 any time soon.

Cheers Piggers

Surprised the handle bars are in a different position ?

Yesterday my 1200GSA LC was in for service and they lent me a 1250 GSA.
The bars seemed to be in a different position to mine, but the rest of the ride felt the same.
The only difference was the engine.
It was smoother and faster than my Hilltopped bike.

They then lent me a F850GSA to go home on as my bike needed some parts.
It threw it down for 90 miles.
The bike was on Anakee 3's and I didn't have a slide, worry or single moment. They are good tyres on this and the 1200's.

Yesterday my 1200GSA LC was in for service and they lent me a 1250 GSA.
The bars seemed to be in a different position to mine, but the rest of the ride felt the same.
The only difference was the engine.
It was smoother and faster than my Hilltopped bike.

They then lent me a F850GSA to go home on as my bike needed some parts.
It threw it down for 90 miles.
The bike was on Anakee 3's and I didn't have a slide, worry or single moment. They are good tyres on this and the 1200's.

I guess it all depends on how aggressively you are riding ? Some peoples quick is other peoples slow. I had no problems in the wet, but I would never be riding as aggressively in the rain.

Cheers,
Piggers

Bottom line I am hearing that the 1250 is not a major upgrade and certainly not thousands of pounds a better bike than the 1200.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Bottom line I am hearing that the 1250 is not a major upgrade and certainly not thousands of pounds a better bike than the 1200.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

It’s not. I’ve had several LC’s, and it’s a bit peppier. But not night and day.

It’s not. I’ve had several LC’s, and it’s a bit peppier. But not night and day.

IYHO of course :bow from a non owner / test pilot view :thumb:bounce1
Your always in the way.....:comfort:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

Attachments

• b-f_W3003729-bmw-r-1200-gs-vs-ktm-1290-super-adventure-s-test-2017-video-636428819632240000.jpg
    b-f_W3003729-bmw-r-1200-gs-vs-ktm-1290-super-adventure-s-test-2017-video-636428819632240000.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 726
I guess it all depends on how aggressively you are riding ? Some peoples quick is other peoples slow. I had no problems in the wet, but I would never be riding as aggressively in the rain.

Cheers,
Piggers

What was the bar position difference? More / less comfortable? Further away? Closer?

Almost, but not quite.

If you've got a Goldilocks R1200 then that statement stands true.

If you've got an older (pre-2015) R1200.... I would say the extra's are worth it.

Having said all that, if you're happily sat on any R1200 and it meets your needs.... stick with it. Everything after is just bling.

Almost, but not quite.

If you've got a Goldilocks R1200 then that statement stands true.

If you've got an older (pre-2015) R1200.... I would say the extra's are worth it.

Having said all that, if you're happily sat on any R1200 and it meets your needs.... stick with it. Everything after is just bling.

Yep and now I have figured out how to get the digital speed on the LCD makes it even better the goldilocks.........

Back
Top Bottom