Connecting optimate SAE connector to R1250GS - how did you do it?

Amadeus

Reaction score
Ok, so my next dumb question.

I want to connect an SAE connector to my GS. I have an SAE lead from Optimate (it's the O1 connector) but I can't see the best way to connect it (or rather, I can connect it but can't see anything reasonable to do with all the cable and the fuse.
Any advice on how you did it to make it look neat?

Many thanks

Not to sound rude but if you need to ask you might be better taking it to a shop. Your other post was how to remove the battery cover so doesn’t sound like you’re very mechanically minded.

Not rude at all!

That’s certainly an option but I’d like to see what I can do and it’s not like it’s fiddling with brakes for example and I can decide to take it to a shop at any time.

Rgds

1. Take off the battery cover
2. Take off the rider seat
3. Connect the red optimate cable to the +ve battery terminal. This is under a red plastic cap to the right side of the battery
4. Connect the black optimate cable to the negative battery terminal (to the left of the battery.
5. Snake the lead through to under the riders seat area and coil under there
6. Expose the optimate connectors to any side of the seat where you want to connect the accessory
7. Cable tie all loose cables in place
8. Put back the rider seat
9. Test the optimate with any accessory you have.
9. Put back the battery cover.

No harm in trying. You will not burn down the bike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks; I didn’t see a way of getting it from the battery area to the seat but I’ll take another look tomorrow.
Many thanks

Thanks; I didn’t see a way of getting it from the battery area to the seat but I’ll take another look tomorrow.
Many thanks
You're welcome. Lots of space behind the frame. Ok to take it from anywhere really. Zip tie where needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've fitted a waterproof cigarette lighter socket wired directly to the battery.Defeats the can shutdown of the powerlets as well.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the link @RoadrashRider.

I wanted to go down the Optimate route because of the Canbus only supporting 5A - pumps require more. I also have a (Optimate) USB charger which plugs into the Canbus port as well (a different model to the one referred to in RoadrashRider's thread - O105).

Anyway, once the connector was attached to the battery, there is indeed plenty of space around to ziptie it to. The "ugly" bit is connecting it to the battery and the fuse on the cable. It's a bit tight and due to the shape of the top of the battery, not a nice snug/comfortable fit as the eyes and the collar push against the top of the battery. Once it's in and done, I don't think it's a problem as it shouldn't be moving.

And to top it off, it works. ;-)

Thanks everyone.

Just to confirm, did you put the black connector to the battery and the red connector to a large screw under the red plastic tab (not to the battery)? As per point 3 in the instructions above.

It should not be a tight fit as there is normally plenty of room around the black connector and the fuse will be fee to go into one of the small spaces.

IMG_4047_battery_tap-2.jpg

Amadeus....push the wires through the frame are under the seat while the connector block is in place. The wires are a lot thinner so it won’t be as tight . Good luck .

Thanks @DC and thanks for the photo @Wobble and the explicit comment about the connection to the right of the battery.

I did look at the list that @Kurienp supplied along with the BMW owners manual (specifically P198) but now realise that I made things more complicated than they need to be.

Looking in the BMW manual I didn't find anything about the red plug so assumed that was related to something else and (quickly) decided that the layout may have changed, so in summary I unplugged the battery entirely. Doing that along with the shape of the battery top and collars around the Optimate eyelets makes it tight. Had I read/understood @KurienP's detailed instructions as intended it would have been easy; my mistake entirely.
I believe now that the red plug to the right of the battery is in parallel to the connection to the +ve on the battery (indirectly mentioned on P196).
Instead of me cursing BMW for making it a pain to get the battery out, I should now praise them for realising that and making it easy by providing the additional connector.

I'll go and redo it later, other commitments this afternoon.

Thanks for your patience guys, it's really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom