Anyone got a REP room with the tools showing

DrFarkoff

Grumpy Ole Git!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to remove the "knock sensor" off a head on my replacement engine for my 1200 (the one with the wire, just above and inboard of the throttle body)

The cable is a bit squashed and I think I will use my ones off my old engine as I know they were good, Well they were good before it went bang :blast

A socket obviously isn't going to work and I am not cutting a cable slot in one of my Grandads old britool deep cranked ringers so I thought I would ask for the special tool part number and start a search from that

Thanks in Advance :thumby:

I need to remove the "knock sensor" off a head on my replacement engine for my 1200 (the one with the wire, just above and inboard of the throttle body)

The cable is a bit squashed and I think I will use my ones off my old engine as I know they were good, Well they were good before it went bang :blast

A socket obviously isn't going to work and I am not cutting a cable slot in one of my Grandads old britool deep cranked ringers so I thought I would ask for the special tool part number and start a search from that

Thanks in Advance :thumby:

Morning Jay. Is it this one - if so, it says the order no. (part no.?) is 83300401708

Pete

Attachments

• rsz_wp_20190525_001.jpg
    rsz_wp_20190525_001.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 475
Well it just goes to show All those "things" you have had in the toolbox and never got around to throwing out do come in handy

Costs? about 3 pence for the electric for the cutting disc and nothing for old Jubilee clip and box spanner

Maybe another few pence for electric for the cup of tea whilst I tried to solve the spreading under load (hence the Jubilee clip)

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 436
Looking forward to seeing the rebuild updates etc

Fergus it turned into a total clusterfuck

I had a bad feeling about this motor but I couldn't nail it down why

It was difficult to turn over and a few other niggles

Anyway on Saturday Morning I set to the job and said Bollix I will pull the heads and see what vibe I am getting

So this is the Absolute Start of the episode >> https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/467186-So-how-has-your-F*cking-day-gone

The big Issue was this!
WhatsApp%20Image%202017-11-03%20at%2009.37.10%203.jpg

and this
WhatsApp%20Image%202017-11-03%20at%2009.37.10.jpg

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-11-03%20at%2009.37.10%202.jpg

So I bought this!

1%206.jpg

Which did get fitted "but" it felt odd once in the frame and connected the way it should be

DSC_1227.jpg

Define "odd"

Swapping the engine is such a huge job on these bikes compared to 'normal' bikes. Must be a sickener if it doesn't feel right after all that.

Define "odd"

Swapping the engine is such a huge job on these bikes compared to 'normal' bikes. Must be a sickener if it doesn't feel right after all that.

Being honest Fergus

You just get a feel for something e.g. its a little tight, Seems too much clearance Looks discoloured where it shouldn't be, silly little things but all in all they are indications Something is not right

IN this instance I put it down to being on an Engine stand on a bench but once set up on the gearbox and frame It was "peculiar" and I cannot say exactly why but when you have turned over thousands of these engines in years You get a notion that it needs looked into deeper and I am Sooooo glad I did!!!

Sorting out some more pics to add to this later

Just pop the heads back on and you won't be able to see those cracks any more. ;)

Joking apart, damage like that needs the rods checking at both ends.

Regards that special too for the knock sensor - a piece of pipe or a cheap socket could be slotted. Maybe a plug socket/spanner is a good option.

Jay, what year of engine are you fitting? The picture looks like a black painted engine so presumably a later one?

Any plans to get the mapping adjusted once the new motor is run-in, you know how stupidly lean/hot these buggers run, especially at part throttle or scarily lean if decatted/end can/k&n fitted?

Jay, what year of engine are you fitting? The picture looks like a black painted engine so presumably a later one?

Any plans to get the mapping adjusted once the new motor is run-in, you know how stupidly lean/hot these buggers run, especially at part throttle or scarily lean if decatted/end can/k&n fitted?

I have a full Wunderlich power commander kit that I never fitted So It will be fitted

I do not think it was a fuelling issue this time I think the Nut connected to the handlebars missed a gear and clutched it momentarily before shutting the throttle Or something along those lines

Anyway a Valve head fell off and did all that damage

A curse be upon the fuckwit that designed those valves and gave the specs for them!!!! :blast :blast :blast

I rebuilt one of these that lunched a valve, feck me the mess. I did rebuild it and got the software on the ecu updated at bmw. I did do a lot of piccys on photobucket, but i can no longer get to them.Ran sweet as a nut afterwards.

Interesting... I dropped a valve head last year, during all that hot weather. Nowhere near as much mess as yours but still needed a new head with valves, piston and barrel. Easy enough to fix but not a cheap exercise even with the majority of parts being second hand. At the time I couldn't find anyone else who had (or would own up to) a similar thing on a 1200GS.

Once rebuilt it wouldn't start. Turned out the little pip holding the cam gear in place on the cam shaft had sheared off so valve timing was also out. Worth checking yours while you are at the ordering parts stage of the project.

Back
Top Bottom