1150GS Ticking noise from left cylinder when warm

west coast traveller

Reaction score
Good morning all. I've noticed a noticeable ticking noise from left hand cylider when the bike has warmed up. The tensioner upgrade has been done a while back and valve clearences done at last service. Does anyone have suggestions as to the cause (I'll recheck the clearences). The bike mileage is 67,000 and twinspark. Thanks in advance for any help.

Throttle body spindle / bush worn maybe? Put your finger on the cable cam and apply some pressure. If the noise stops then that’s the issue which a ticker killer kit will sort.

Thanks, WC Traveller, you reminded me to ask about this :thumby

Mine's recently developed this noise and I was wondering whether there is any detriment apart from nuisance value and difficulty balancing throttle bodies when the air leak gets too bad?

I did a search and it seems that bushing the TBs is the fix. The 'ticker killer' is the stupidest thing I've seen - the audio equivalent of tape over a warning light. :blast

Throttle body bush repair kit

Ok folks, I give up! Does anyone have contact details for Dan Cata please? The only kits I can find via Google are from Beemerboneyard in the states. People have gone direct to Dan, but for the life of me I can't find any links. Thanks in advance.

Could be the push rods...end caps coming off the ali shaft...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dan Cata supplies Motobins and it's cheaper to get them there rather than direct from Dan in Romania ! The TPS damps the L\H throttle body side so the noise is less obvious compared to the right side...might not be the spindle.

Is it being so cheerful that keeps you going? :dabone :D
It's not a difficult job...and I've only read of happy endings with during them. Actually, I'm fairly sure my old 1150 GSA could have done with the same upgrade since it would always tick/ clatter a little more when hot...

Interesting point. Does the 2003 model not have the steel pushrods fitted as standard instead of the alloy ones?
You'd need a guru to answer that. I really don't know when they switched over to the one-piece part. But I'd suspect it's not a precise science. I mean they will have used up stock and then started the new so who knows where the bikes were distributed to...

It's not a difficult job...and I've only read of happy endings with during them. Actually, I'm fairly sure my old 1150 GSA could have done with the same upgrade since it would always tick/ clatter a little more when hot...

The ticking started (or I started to notice it) just after I installed new injectors. At first I thought it was the injectors firing, but it varies a lot with throttle - in fact it's loudest on the overrun, with the throttle closed. I think I started it when I balanced the throttles after fitting the injectors and it stops when I press on the cable pulley.

I can put up with it, in fact it adds to the bike's character. :D I'm just wondering if it'll do any harm to leave it.

I thought the ticker killer is only for the right side - it replaces the cap on the end of the throttle shaft. The left side has the TPS on it.

I thought the ticker killer is only for the right side - it replaces the cap on the end of the throttle shaft. The left side has the TPS on it.

Good spot, I'd missed that. On my bike, it is the RHS, but the OP says LHS, which probably isn't the TB...

The ticking started (or I started to notice it) just after I installed new injectors. At first I thought it was the injectors firing, but it varies a lot with throttle - in fact it's loudest on the overrun, with the throttle closed. I think I started it when I balanced the throttles after fitting the injectors and it stops when I press on the cable pulley.

I can put up with it, in fact it adds to the bike's character. :D I'm just wondering if it'll do any harm to leave it.
I think if it stops when you hold/ push the cable pulley then you've found the culprit

You'd need a guru to answer that. I really don't know when they switched over to the one-piece part. But I'd suspect it's not a precise science. I mean they will have used up stock and then started the new so who knows where the bikes were distributed to...

I have a late 2003 model 1150GSA. It has the aluminium shafted pushrods. Even though a lot of information around says they went steel in 2001. But obviously not. If you look at the part numbers, there have been about three previous versions (Or three part numbers at least). Maybe they uprated them but didn't change to the one piece ones until later.

The steel pushrods (11317688631) are the only ones you can get new now. They also fit the 1200.

Supersedes:
11327667113(03/06/2001 — 01/14/2005),
Exchangeable retrospectively11321342428(03/11/1996 — 03/22/2001),
Exchangeable retrospectively11321341480(08/15/1992 — 04/19/2001)

My 1150 is rattling on the left pot when it gets hot. The motor is perfect. Uprated tensioner and no rattle from any Throttle bodies. New plugs, everything perfectly balanced. Hell, I do this for a living.

I have removed the pushrods (when cold), and there is absolutely no movement in the caps. I suppose I could heat them up and check then but that's not a real world check of what's happening inside the bike.

I have just bought two steel pushrods (£30 from Motorworks) to see if they make a difference.

I'm not overly concerned from the about the rattle. I know 1150's which have had this rattle for almost ever and they keep on chugging along just fine.

Back
Top Bottom