To VFR, or not...

I’ve been meaning to advertise my 97 or 98 Vfr 800 I think it’s an fiw. I took it in part ex for my underused R1200RT. It’s a nice thing and been very well looked after and needs nothing. I took it because it was older and of lower value to get little use (my kids are 2 and 3 so riding time is in short supply). However it’s just not my cup of tea somehow. Lovely engine. I just prefer the more laid back riding/seating position.

Red with gold wheels, easily and quickly removed full givi luggage, loads of documents to show it’s been looked after, just under 32k miles, service with valve clearances done by former owner last November ish, chain and sprockets half worn ish, may need tyres in 2k/3k miles ish, upgraded regulator rectifier and added fan, MOT to next May (advisory for rear pads but chap I bought it from checked them and they are less than one third worn so he left them in - and there is a spare set with the bike), upgraded rear suspension (maxton or Hagon - can check in the morning) plus original. PM if u want any more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What seems to be the best the RC24 or the RC36

I have owned an FK RC24, plus FL, FM and currently an FT. In my opinion the FJ/K RC24 models are the best. They don`t have the silly wheel sizes of the FG/H variants, or the (awkward for maintenance) one piece lower fairing section, and they are slightly lighter (probably mainly due to the heavy single sided swinging arm on later models) and a tad more powerful thaN the later models. I also found the FK to be more comfortable over long distance as the ergonomics are more relaxed. I messed about with Genmar risers on my later bikes, but it was never as comfy as the FK. The earlier bikes feels a lot more nimble, probably due to the narrower tyres. No doubt about it though, the last shape is the prettiest.

£1200 gets ya a red one in for sale section.

Cheap way of dipping your toe in the water.:thumb2

I've owned the honda vfr800i ,ducati st2 (×2) and now the TriumphSprint st 955i
All are equivalent machines
all have bonuses and a few well known weaknesses
in order of my preference

1 Triumph-Sprint-ST 955i
2.hondavfr800
3.ducati st2. ......really more like 5th :blast

I've enjoyed all
but
the Ducati electrics were abysmal. ....and I'm being polite :blagblah:barf

I had a lovely green VFR X plate in around 2002 ish ... just before Vtec ... it was awesome.. all the good things people say about them are true ... a lovely bike ... I love my GSA more though :augie:augie

Had a '98 Fi and loved it. I felt the bike really came alive after 80 MPH, it was very good. I changed to a GS because I needed more suspension travel and was getting a bit older (might have written that in the wrong order :))

BUT.. there was an issue with mine that I could never trace, it would cut out randomly every now and then and sometimes would not turn over... never left me stranded but it was a faff about turning ignition on and off until it got going again. Thought it was possibly related to the Gemmel alarm fitted. Buyer was fully aware of the issue. People go on about the sound of the V4 gear cam but I only had standard pipe and never really got that bit.

I had a VTEC and loved it above 8000 revs, otherwise it was a bit bland and not all day comfortable so I swapped it for a KTM 950 SMR, WTF:blast

Had a '98 Fi and loved it. I felt the bike really came alive after 80 MPH, it was very good. I changed to a GS because I needed more suspension travel and was getting a bit older (might have written that in the wrong order :))

BUT.. there was an issue with mine that I could never trace, it would cut out randomly every now and then and sometimes would not turn over... never left me stranded but it was a faff about turning ignition on and off until it got going again. Thought it was possibly related to the Gemmel alarm fitted. Buyer was fully aware of the issue. People go on about the sound of the V4 gear cam but I only had standard pipe and never really got that bit.

I'd take a punt at the actual ignition switch
it happened to mine
£15 oem part off ebay and an afternoon of removing the top and side fairing
to access the rear of the switch
job done and problem cured.
I did like the linked brakes. ...my Triumph-Sprint-ST doesn't have that, buts a far more revvy motor

Had a few for 750 and 800s , honestly looks 96 vfr, better bike in my opinion is the pre v tec 800, has better engine and based on rc45 up to a point, better lights, I personally felt it handles that wee bit better than the 750 and slightly higher top speed and torque. Red has to be the colour.

Back
Top Bottom