To VFR, or not...

neuroportal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about what to get next. I am sick of bikes weighing far too much, (2014 Sprint GT SE....I mean, 265kgs???) and I don't think that bigger is better when it comes to CC and find myself looking at the 750-900 segment. I do like triples, but recently found myself looking at VFRs. Namely the 800 Fi, pre VTEC.

So the idea is a blast out OR go and do the other end of the country on a whim. What are thoughts here? I'm 6ft. Prefer bikes that will engage you and respond when pushed, but also I like to pootle and smell the flowers at other times.

Is this a possible contender or should I look elsewhere?

*Is* the model of VFR I am looking at considered the best?

Much obliged.

There is a nice article in this months Bike Magazine focussed on the marvellous VFR750F. Definitely the best variant of the VFR's, just a little older.

RBW.

I had a 1997 VFR750 just like the one in Ride mag. Brilliant. 140mph, 50 mpg, handles well, pillion friendly. Jack of all trades and master of most. Regulator/rectifier is the only known weakness. My brother owns my old one and I keep thinking about buying it back. The 800 wasn't as good.

Mmmmmmm ... I keep on thinking about an early VFR ... black with white wheels ... polished alloy frame spar. Pure class plus light weight and a decent turn of speed.

I bought a new FiW in '99. I spent a lot turning it into my perfect sports tourer - V-Tec front forks and yokes, Ohlins rear shock, ceramic coated headers and Yoshimura can, braided brake hoses, carbon fibre hugger, double bubble screen, GPS mount, Corbin seat, Scottoiler, Givi panniers.

It was good but then I test rode an R1200GS when they came out. My wife bought me on for Christmas 2004 and the VFR barely turned a wheel after that.

My son bought an Fi1 that had been very similarly uprated, a few years ago and then he rode my new LC. Same story.

The 750 was produced when build quality was, in my opinion, the best ever. I have a nice late model sitting in my mother in laws garage that I am thinking of selling, but not yet as I am working away. i remember a bike mag article about a motor that had covered 100K miles. They took it apart and measured the wear. It was insignificant.

Thanks for the comments.

I think I will start looking out for one.

Interesting what folks say about the 750 over the 800 Fi.

I bought a new FiW in '99. I spent a lot turning it into my perfect sports tourer - V-Tec front forks and yokes, Ohlins rear shock, ceramic coated headers and Yoshimura can, braided brake hoses, carbon fibre hugger, double bubble screen, GPS mount, Corbin seat, Scottoiler, Givi panniers.

It was good but then I test rode an R1200GS when they came out. My wife bought me on for Christmas 2004 and the VFR barely turned a wheel after that.

My son bought an Fi1 that had been very similarly uprated, a few years ago and then he rode my new LC. Same story.

Similar journey to mine, and many others no doubt, with regard to sporties to sport touries and onwards to an adventure bike (hate that term but you know what I mean).

I appreciate the comments. However, been there at the dual sport end and, at this moment, wish to try different things.

I had a fiw, it needed work to make it handle, standard setup, it turned to slow, 15mm of sliding the forks through the yokes sorted that, modded the reg rec, by fitting a computer fan to it, and bar risers, I disliked the brakes,

I didn’t really jell with it though, I thought it worse than the Fazer 600 I had before, it was a bit lardy, I sold it and bought a Fazer 1000, then I got into Guzzi’s and I preferred guzzi’s great to ride, even when going nowhere fast.

Thanks for the comments.

I think I will start looking out for one.

Interesting what folks say about the 750 over the 800 Fi.

Yeah the 750s are arguably the better looking ones and are good quality wise but getting on a bit in years. The first 800 is a decent bike too but perhaps not such a good looker. VTECs have their fans but are a bit more marmite, spesch the first ones and by that time the cam driven gubbins were replaced with chains I think?

Out of that lot there should be one for your budget I'm sure I'll be honest the last time I rode one it was up against a Blackbird and the Blackbird won.

Guzzis also something else I were looking at.

I get the appeal. Never owned one but there is something at Muzzimoto I was considering for a bit.

But still there is a VFR itch here. A lot of people rate them so there must be something in it, at least.

Well the blackbird was something else on my radar. But we are getting bigger and bigger again...

Strange to see a few negative comments relating too the 800fi, I had one and ran it to over 120k without issue (apart from a couple of rectifiers and the usual wear and tear) and a mate had one as his work bike (courier) with north of 300k on, serviced every couple of weeks, looked like a heap but was still running like a dream when he sold it...to one of his courier colleagues.

I understand that the last of the line, the 2001 FiY are the ones to have. Brilliant bikes

Back
Top Bottom