R1100GS Fuel, Temp and Clock Cluster Dead.....

DeuceBG

Reaction score
Any ideas where to look please?
Fuses under Seat all OK.
TIA :thumb

Are you sure Fuse 3 is okay swap it with fuse 6

both should be 15 amp

So if fuel pump does not run it likely has a hairline crack

http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs11fuse.htm

Did you happen to wash it when you put it away last time? as the rubber around the buttons will be kinda old by now

Didn't swap them across but both Turn Signals and Fuel Pump are fine.
Which Fuse is supposed to control the Fuel Gauge / Temp Gauge please?

Didn't swap them across but both Turn Signals and Fuel Pump are fine.
Which Fuse is supposed to control the Fuel Gauge / Temp Gauge please?

RID is rider information display

Its fuse 3

fuel pump is fuse 6, so if you hear the pump starting and running? Then you are 100 percent sure that the fuse is good because you can hear it :rob So pop fuse 3 into fuse 6 place and vice versa and ??

I have come across micro-fractures in fuses before

Also notice there are two options for turn signals and hazards

I can;t remember which colour it is at the RID now but there is a permanent live for the time to show

And there is an ignition live to wake up the chip

So either of those or a broken earth wire (plain brown) could be the cause

RID is rider information display

Its fuse 3

fuel pump is fuse 6, so if you hear the pump starting and running? Then you are 100 percent sure that the fuse is good because you can hear it :rob So pop fuse 3 into fuse 6 place and vice versa and ??

I have come across micro-fractures in fuses before

Also notice there are two options for turn signals and hazards

I can;t remember which colour it is at the RID now but there is a permanent live for the time to show

And there is an ignition live to wake up the chip

So either of those or a broken earth wire (plain brown) could be the cause
Fuel Pump definitely Ok as the Bike starts / Runs fine.
We'll give the Fuse Swap thing a try then, if that fails we'll whip off the Tank and dig deeper :thumb

Well, we've Checked Fuses, Stripped / Checked Wiring and Grounds, Poked n Prodded and generally Scrabbled Around everywhere we can think of....Nothing!
Has it got to be an 1100GS Unit or will an RT or 1150 one suffice?
Anyone have a spare we could borrow to try and then purchase if it fixes the Issue please?

Well, we've Checked Fuses, Stripped / Checked Wiring and Grounds, Poked n Prodded and generally Scrabbled Around everywhere we can think of....Nothing!
Has it got to be an 1100GS Unit or will an RT or 1150 one suffice?
Anyone have a spare we could borrow to try and then purchase if it fixes the Issue please?

Not according to the parts catalogue. They carry different part numbers. And look to be model specific.

R1100GS = 621 323 506 07 (also only fitted to R850GS)
R1150GS = 621 376 798 49
R1100RT = 621 376 798 50

I suspect the difference is in how it mounts in the instrument cluster, but can’t be sure. I would think that across the entire model range, the wiring would be close, if not identical on all models. maybe a different connector where it connects into the main loom, but that could probably be bypassed.

Ian

Cheers for the Reply Ian.
I spoke with James Sherlock this morning (with someone over there anyway) and they are of the Opinion that the Part No.s are only different due to different Manufacturers, and that the odd one out is likely to be the RT whose Cable may be longer? :nenau
Going to test ours on another Bike this week just to be certain it's the Unit that's at fault.
Everything else on the Bike appears to be OK so it's pointing to the Unit itself at the minute.

You should be ok with an 1150 RID on an 1100. I think the problem is the other way round as the 1100 RID will only display 5 gears on a 6 speed 1150. From memory that is what happened when I tried it :nenau

You should be ok with an 1150 RID on an 1100. I think the problem is the other way round as the 1100 RID will only display 5 gears on a 6 speed 1150. From memory that is what happened when I tried it :nenau

Didn't think of the different Number of Gears...:blast

Back
Top Bottom