Not so new but need help!!

CV35Ian

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Been on and off here for a couple of years, have a 2006 1200GS with a few extra bits.

Ive just fitted Satnav hardwire mount, it has two wires Black and Red, the standard power socket plug has three (an extra blue), so I connected red to red and black to black and no power, Have I missed something - eg BMW in their usual fashion making and easy job really difficult?

Matching colour wires is usually the safest bet!

Thanks

Ian

Hi
Been on and off here for a couple of years, have a 2006 1200GS with a few extra bits.

Ive just fitted Satnav hardwire mount, it has two wires Black and Red, the standard power socket plug has three (an extra blue), so I connected red to red and black to black and no power, Have I missed something - eg BMW in their usual fashion making and easy job really difficult?

Matching colour wires is usually the safest bet!

Thanks

Ian

Which satnav hardwired mount did you fit??

The Garmin (or BMW) mount can uses the dedicated BMW 3 pin connector socket in the headstock.

The headstock socket is 3 pin +12v -V & +10V (speedpulse) most nav units only use the +12v & -V the speed pulse is normally not used

The best way to connect is with the appropriate connector, of which the cheapest place to buy is via your local BMW parts desk usually for £5-15 depending on the dealership ;)

It is a switched live socket, so will only have power with ignition on and will turn off about 30 seconds after you turn the ignition off

Have you thought about investing in a multi-meter - a car accessory shop will probably have one for <£20. If you don't know how to use one just read the instructions and do a little bit of research on google. Will take the guesswork out of what's working and what to connect to, with or without the ignition on. A really useful piece of kit and you'll wonder how you managed without one. Most have a continuity checker too.

Thanks everyone.
I have the Tom Tom rider mount with the TomTom plug that goes in below it. The cables are then taken to the 12v supply under the tank via a bmw plug.
On the back of my TomTom it does say 5v but I'd assumed the plug at the unit has the necessary step down in it?
I have a multimeter so will test when my mate gets back tomorrow as I loaned it to him a while ago.
Unit charges perfectly from car power socket... So more investigation needed.
Ian

Back
Top Bottom