Oil change Interval

P1lts

Reaction score
Ive covered 3500 miles now on my 1250GS, so just under 3000 miles since its initial service.

What are peoples opinions on completing an intermediate oil change myself now?

Beneficial, or just a waste of time/money?

Thanks

When fully synthetic oil came out it was envisaged to last 50,000miles and reduce waste oil considerably, however the manufacturers discovered this was having a detromental effect on the bottom line and reverted back to pre synthetic intervals ? Having said that I change mine every year regardless of mileage but I am slightly anal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

When fully synthetic oil came out it was envisaged to last 50,000miles and reduce waste oil considerably, however the manufacturers discovered this was having a detromental effect on the bottom line and reverted back to pre synthetic intervals ? Having said that I change mine every year regardless of mileage but I am slightly anal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
Why would you change oil every year regardless of mileage?
You do know it’s already 60 million years old, don’t you.

It won't hurt your engine to change your oil prematurely just your wallet...but why as it is synthetic anyways.

I remember reading somewhere that in some countries the oil change interval is longer. JJH

A few makers ,Ducati spring to mind, have 9000 mile service intervals but apart from the brand use pretty much the same oil. A multi Strada is a big twin so similar to BMW

Wast of cash and no benefit doing it at 3k IMO

Why would you change oil every year regardless of mileage?
You do know it’s already 60 million years old, don’t you.

Oil change intervals are based on duty & time, once the 'fresh' oil is in the engine, it is subject to contaminants which break it down over time. that's why you should change every 12 months low miles or not

I can see the logic on mileage but sitting in a unused engine? How can that affect oil no more than sitting in a can? JJH

i've always done mine every 5000klms, probably not needed but it's cheap enough and I want to keep the bike a long time

I can see the logic on mileage but sitting in a unused engine? How can that affect oil no more than sitting in a can? JJH

A can is a nice sterile environment with just the oil and a small bit of air that never changes until the can is opened.
An engine even with low mileage (particularly if it only gets short runs) can contaminate the oil with water vapour and some chemical by products from combustion. All of that reduces the oils efficacy.

It’s a bit like those food products you can store for two weeks but you have to consume within 4 days of opening as it’s not in it nice sealed container anymore.

Is it a waste of money to change at 3.5 miles - probably but it won’t do any harm either.

Oil change intervals are based on duty & time, once the 'fresh' oil is in the engine, it is subject to contaminants which break it down over time. that's why you should change every 12 months low miles or not

Done a bit of oil analysis in my time.
Oil breakdown is due to contaminant build-up due to use i.e mileage, and shearing which reduces the viscosity again due to usage.
Never saw much degradation due to time unless you're talking many years. I'm also unaware of 'contaminants' which will break oil down.
Oil is not very hygroscopic. So long as the vehicle is stored in a dry place - you won't see moisture contamination in anything under several years.
I am, however, always keen to learn from my betters.

Combustion contaminants, condensation etc etc, read up on it, there is plenty of good information from people who actually know what they are talking about

Done a bit of oil analysis in my time.
Oil breakdown is due to contaminant build-up due to use i.e mileage, and shearing which reduces the viscosity again due to usage.
Never saw much degradation due to time unless you're talking many years. I'm also unaware of 'contaminants' which will break oil down.
Oil is not very hygroscopic. So long as the vehicle is stored in a dry place - you won't see moisture contamination in anything under several years.
I am, however, always keen to learn from my betters.

As a qualified Engineer who works with proactive maintenance techniques including oil analysis, I have amassed plenty of real life evidence over the years ref hydrocarbon & water contamination failures FACT.
I dont believe you are up for constructive comment / education from people who deal with this subject for a living though?

Load of tosh. First time the oil heats up the alleged contaminates will evorapete JJH

Back
Top Bottom