Small issue when starting in gear

khunpaul

Reaction score
This is not a major issue yet but I always like to try and knock a problem on the head from first observation.

As you all know you need to pull in the clutch if starting the engine in first gear (which I very occasionally do).
However, lately if I do try, the engine will not turn over even with the clutch lever pulled right in. Putting it in neutral or even releasing the clutch then trying again usually solves the problem. This is why I think it is not about the bike detecting that the stand is down - although I will check that as well.

I just worry that there is a contact point somewhere that is dirty or failing leading to something more serious.

In words of one - or possibly two syllables could anyone please suggest what to look for and where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, I had a similar problem on my 05 GS - turned out to be the clutch microswitch going faulty, after they had changed the sidestand switch and problems continued.
HTH.

Had the same on my 1200ST, and on my current RT. The microswitch seems to get full of crap - a good squirt of contact cleaner into it sorted it temporarily, but eventually I took it out and gave it a proper clean, which fixed it long-term. If you do remove it, be advised - it pivots on a tiny, plastic pin...it looks like a small drawing pin. Don't lose it, you'll have to buy a complete switch if you do! I dropped mine into the pebbles on the drive - it took me hours of fingertip searching to find the bastard thing! :mad:

Have a look here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/pictorial-r1200gs-clutch-switch-adjustment-no-start-in-gear.376181/

Pete

I'm with the others; try the clutch micro-switch first.

I removed the switch, as Milliplod suggests, on my F650GS. After using contact cleaner, I exercised it through its full range & checked it was working with a meter. That was 18m ago ...... no problems since.

Had the same on my 1200ST, and on my current RT. The microswitch seems to get full of crap - a good squirt of contact cleaner into it sorted it temporarily, but eventually I took it out and gave it a proper clean, which fixed it long-term. If you do remove it, be advised - it pivots on a tiny, plastic pin...it looks like a small drawing pin. Don't lose it, you'll have to buy a complete switch if you do! I dropped mine into the pebbles on the drive - it took me hours of fingertip searching to find the bastard thing! :mad:

Have a look here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/pictorial-r1200gs-clutch-switch-adjustment-no-start-in-gear.376181/

Pete

I have now read the advrider article (I had forgotten I was registered but my PC remembered) but before I start two things:

1. The article talks of one click sound (like the brake lever does) but mine clicks twice. Once near the beginning of the stroke and one near the end.

2. The so-called pivot is not obvious by eye - I do see the set screw and can loosen it but thought I would check before going too far - the picture looks like an obvious little spindle.

What bike have you got?

That was going to be my first question....

Second question is, have you tried adjusting the clutch micro switch.. of course the answer depends on the first question as some models have adjustable switches, some don't.

2014 R1200RT LE Water Cooled of course
By the micro switch, if you mean the rotating adjustor that changes the take up point, I have tried it on 1/2/3/and 4all same.

2014 R1200RT LE Water Cooled of course
By the micro switch, if you mean the rotating adjustor that changes the take up point, I have tried it on 1/2/3/and 4all same.

No, i don't mean the span adjuster....... i said the clutch switch, which means the clutch switch, not the span adjuster. :D

Try moving it just a smidge, so you can start the engine with the clutch pulled in while in gear.

Back
Top Bottom