R850r: Full size pannier on the exhaust side?

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yep - i'm going to be a plague on this section now :p

Has anyone put a full size BMW pannier on the left side?
No 'heat shield', no 'Stubby'. No drastic measures to stop it melting. :eek:
I mean it looks like it would work. :augie

Or bodged on a Givi Wing Rack on to the BMW rails to take decent sized proper :rolleyes: panniers.
Maybe using bracketry / spacers to get some distance away from the silencer? :nenau
Best idea (Hah! :blast ) i've had so far is to bolt on a Hepco and Becker pannier frame and bolt the Givi Wing Rack to that...
... IF you can find one AND are willing to pay about £250 for it AND then go bodging it.:(

I cant be the only one to look at the standard set up and think "There's got to be a better way than this!" :mad:

I look forward to your replies. :augie
Thanks in advance,
~~
:D

850R is the same as the 1150R tail, yes?

If you put a full-size pannier on the standard rails, it WILL foul the standard exhaust, and also it won't engage with the support foot on the footrest hanger (the lugs on the full-size pannier are in a different position.

The easiest way to go IS the stubby exhaust option. You'll also lose 5-6kg (or more) of useless metal tube, the catalyst is a sufficient 'silencer' for everyday use, and if you really need the OE can for the MOT (which is debatable), then it's a 5 minute job to stick it back on before you get the MOT done.

I ran a Rockster for something like 8 years with a 'stubby', no problems at all, and I'm going to do so again with my new Rockster. :)

850R is the same as the 1150R tail, yes? ... Yes, but not the exhaust.

The easiest way to go IS the stubby exhaust option. ... and if you really need the OE can for the MOT (which is debatable), then it's a 5 minute job to stick it back on before you get the MOT done. ...
Tail is the same. :)
Exhaust is not. collector box and silencer is all one piece. So not possible to use a stubby. :(
I did not know the differences in fixtures, THAT does make a big difference in options.
No MOT for Bikes in Ireland. :D

Thanks for reply though! :thumb2

Attachments

• 850r exhaust.jpg
    850r exhaust.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 396
Exhaust is not. collector box and silencer is all one piece. So not possible to use a stubby. :(
I did not know the differences in fixtures, THAT does make a big difference in options.

Ah I see the issue....

Yep - i'm going to be a plague on this section now :p

Has anyone put a full size BMW pannier on the left side?
No 'heat shield', no 'Stubby'. No drastic measures to stop it melting. :eek:
I mean it looks like it would work. :augie

Or bodged on a Givi Wing Rack on to the BMW rails to take decent sized proper :rolleyes: panniers.
Maybe using bracketry / spacers to get some distance away from the silencer? :nenau
Best idea (Hah! :blast ) i've had so far is to bolt on a Hepco and Becker pannier frame and bolt the Givi Wing Rack to that...
... IF you can find one AND are willing to pay about £250 for it AND then go bodging it.:(

I cant be the only one to look at the standard set up and think "There's got to be a better way than this!" :mad:

I look forward to your replies. :augie
Thanks in advance,
~~

Yes, done it with an 1100R and a 1100GS

Replaced the exhaust with one from an 1100RT or 1100RS, made a bracket to support the full size pannier at the lower fixing point as its in a different position on the pannier. Oh , and make a rear fixing for the exhaust to attach it to the foot rest

Oooh, yes.

Yes, done it with an 1100R and a 1100GS

Replaced the exhaust with one from an 1100RT or 1100RS, made a bracket to support the full size pannier at the lower fixing point as its in a different position on the pannier. Oh , and make a rear fixing for the exhaust to attach it to the foot rest
Hmmm. Sounds good.
...um, by any chance - got any pics? :hide
Ta for the reply. :beerjug:

Would help if you gave us the year, as there are two models of 850R .. seems with your one piece exhaust you have early 850R/1100R version and not the later 850R/1150R model.

Well that's a lot of info, Thanks guys. :thumb2
Steptoe,
it's the earlier model - '99 reg.
I'm just at the plots and plans stage at the moment, so i've a lot of options to sift through before taking out the hacksaw.... i mean credit card. :blast

Thanks for the replies. :beerjug:

Another option?

If you are talking about System cases, then you can get a deeper lid for the pannier, which gives you more space. Got mine from main dealer and seem to recall it was reasonable cost. Just need to remove old lid and connect new one with pin through the existing hinge, took about 2 minutes.

What's the catch?

If you are talking about System cases, then you can get a deeper lid for the pannier, which gives you more space. Got mine from main dealer and seem to recall it was reasonable cost. Just need to remove old lid and connect new one with pin through the existing hinge, took about 2 minutes.
What?! :eek: Now that just sounds way too easy - too good to be true. :rolleyes:
No feckin about - just remove / replace lid.

Looked online and can find nothing but ... Hmmm, wonder if i'll get lucky. :)

Ta for that. i shall keep looking now. :thumb2

Can't seem to find them again now, but think that the part numbers are:

71607652735 - Left
71607652736 - Right

Looking at them, they only give an extra 6 litres of space, but that is enough for a few Tosser sized scuds!

71607652735 - Left
71607652736 - Right

Looking at them, they only give an extra 6 litres of space, but that is enough for a few Tosser sized scuds!

They do add a few inches to what is already a wide bike

What?! :eek: Now that just sounds way too easy - too good to be true. :rolleyes:
No feckin about - just remove / replace lid.

Looked online and can find nothing but ... Hmmm, wonder if i'll get lucky. :)

Ta for that. i shall keep looking now. :thumb2

It's called a Global Lid
Extra 6 litres of Pannier Space
Got them on the GS Adv
Put a pair on a get 12 litres more

71607652735 - Left
71607652736 - Right

Part numbers - always a help. Thank you.

It's called a Global Lid
Extra 6 litres of Pannier Space
Got them on the GS Adv
Put a pair on a get 12 litres more
Ah .... googling that specifically, got me a pic to compare. Thanks for that! :)
Now just to find a source to actually get one.... er, two? :confused: :D

Attachments

• pannierlids3.jpg
    pannierlids3.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 245

Back
Top Bottom