Looking for advice where to mount USB charger

Flyingdutchman

Reaction score
I bought a double USB charger as in image and looking for some advice on where to mount it based on experience from members here.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Attachments

• USB.JPG
    USB.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 528
Wired mine into the top box with a 2 pin water proof connector under seat to enable removal of box if required , saves hassle of where to mount item you want to charge.
(p.s wired to Denali unit under seat )

Attachments

• 20181218_181643.jpg
    20181218_181643.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 499
Depends what you intend to use it for. I have one wired under the screen to allow me to plug in my phone when I mount it next to my satnav. 6" USB cable reaces easily

I have that double USB also I ran the cable to the back of the hella plug and soldered it on there I believe you can get an adapter if you don't want to cut and solder the wires. I mounted the USB on the left hand side of the fairing mount just above the oil cooler lines. Then I ran an iPhone charging cable up to the screen mount with a quadlock mounted on the cross brace of the screen. I'm happy enough with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 473
  • E1B53B68-26F6-48A0-8444-323DB56DA84B.jpg
    E1B53B68-26F6-48A0-8444-323DB56DA84B.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 478
I have that double USB also I ran the cable to the back of the hella plug and soldered it on there I believe you can get an adapter if you don't want to cut and solder the wires. I mounted the USB on the left hand side of the fairing mount just above the oil cooler lines. Then I ran an iPhone charging cable up to the screen mount with a quadlock mounted on the cross brace of the screen. I'm happy enough with it.

That's great thank you very much. pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the Hella plug and where would I get that adapter? Not to handy with a solder iron I'm afraid :)

Get a lithium battery. They are the same length and width as OEM lead acid but half the height. Mount the battery without its support legs and you'll have loads of space above for all sorts of stuff. It can be fitted at any angle and light enough to mount in a special box under the beak centre bracket. Just make sure the steering and suspension have enough space.

50b59ba17c0eaf5950fe89e31fff037b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would look half decent if you sprayed the bracket black.

Be careful if you wire a USB socket direct to the battery. They pull a bit of current even when not in use.
Slave it off the aux socket or the GPS plug.

Do all USN sockets draw a little power or just the ones with the LED Voltage indicators etc?
They all do. Some only a tiny amount - depending on the quality. Obviously if it has an led display, it'll be more.
Not an issue if you're using the bike regularly, but if it's laid up for a few months, it's enough to make a difference.
10mA current is a couple of Amp/hours per month.

They all do. Some only a tiny amount - depending on the quality. Obviously if it has an led display, it'll be more.
Not an issue if you're using the bike regularly, but if it's laid up for a few months, it's enough to make a difference.
10mA current is a couple of Amp/hours per month.

Just noticed I invented a new kind of socket 'USN' ffs...anyway you know what I meant. Have mine on a charger if it't not in regular use so I think I have covered that of. I like where you have your mounted as it's easy accessible. Thanks for the info provided.

Wired to existing bmw plug so stays on for ten seconds after ignition turned off the goes out, and was just about to paint it when I took first picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdd8cbc4ae1cc7017b0529a3b5409287.jpg

I bought a double USB charger as in image and looking for some advice on where to mount it based on experience from members here.

Thanks in advance.

S.

Not sure if you've solved it but I recently bought the same USB port as you and pondered where best to put mine.
I eventually unscrewed the sticky pad mount and removed the screw/nut. Expanded the hole and refitted the plastic clamp to the windscreen frame bolt (similar to toy40) and routed the cable under the tank to the left side DIN plug. Cut off the battery terminals and fuse holder the charger came with and wired it directly to a male DIN plug which now plugs directly into the bike and is only activated with the ignition.
The USB port can be removed from the holder easily should I need to access the headlight bulb.
Hopefully the URL below works and you can see pictures of the installation which seems to work fine and is not in the way of anything.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsG_JXsk0BzCkTDeCxiOFEJsK_XU

Not sure if you've solved it but I recently bought the same USB port as you and pondered where best to put mine.
I eventually unscrewed the sticky pad mount and removed the screw/nut. Expanded the hole and refitted the plastic clamp to the windscreen frame bolt (similar to toy40) and routed the cable under the tank to the left side DIN plug. Cut off the battery terminals and fuse holder the charger came with and wired it directly to a male DIN plug which now plugs directly into the bike and is only activated with the ignition.
The USB port can be removed from the holder easily should I need to access the headlight bulb.
Hopefully the URL below works and you can see pictures of the installation which seems to work fine and is not in the way of anything.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsG_JXsk0BzCkTDeCxiOFEJsK_XU

That looks great. Many thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom