92 hp ?

well established bike shop, and says they have a dyno sheet to prove. though i have seen many a 'fudged' dyno report ;)

nice bike, silly price.

I went to Moto Israil shop in Koblenz once and was talking to the owner/engineer. He said he had built a airhead 112 bhp engine for a spanish customer using "his" heads lightweight pistons and all sorts of gadgets. Thats what he said anyway.

Many years ago I was a regular visitor at the workshop of a mechanic (that doesn't do him justice) and tuner. I would often stop in on the way home from work just for a chat and a mug of tea. Before setting up on his own, Swampy had worked as a tuner for KTM and had spannered on the Dakar for the UK's most successful (at the time) racer, John Deacon. He worked out of a small unit in Cornwall and yet people would crate their engines to him from across UK and even from abroad. If you turned up with a 640 KTM and asked for a bit more power Swampy would ask "how much, and how long do you need it to last for?" He said, and I believe him, that he could extract 80 hp from KTM's 640 LC4 lump, at a cost - financial but also engine life.

Is it possible to get 92hp from an airhead? I don't know, but quite probably. However, if it is I would want to know more about the cost, and I mean keeping the bike running as much as getting it in the first place.

Engines for military use can be rated at a much higher output than would be considered wise for civil use. Of course the lifespan is measured in hours. JJH

Many years ago I was a regular visitor at the workshop of a mechanic (that doesn't do him justice) and tuner. I would often stop in on the way home from work just for a chat and a mug of tea. Before setting up on his own, Swampy had worked as a tuner for KTM and had spannered on the Dakar for the UK's most successful (at the time) racer, John Deacon. He worked out of a small unit in Cornwall and yet people would crate their engines to him from across UK and even from abroad. If you turned up with a 640 KTM and asked for a bit more power Swampy would ask "how much, and how long do you need it to last for?" He said, and I believe him, that he could extract 80 hp from KTM's 640 LC4 lump, at a cost - financial but also engine life.

Is it possible to get 92hp from an airhead? I don't know, but quite probably. However, if it is I would want to know more about the cost, and I mean keeping the bike running as much as getting it in the first place.

Do you mean “Swampy” Marsh? What a top fella. He helped me sort my 640 Keihin setup. The bike went like the proverbial after he had finished with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thats the one. He was a legend. He had this almost zen like way with bikes - one time he just lifted my 640 off it's side stand and then told me that the steering bearings needed replacing.

Bmw had to put blowers on them to get 100 horse , seen them pump out 82 horse and this is with a shitload of work on the heads, crank, pistons , carbs, cheapest option that even bee m realised was stick a blower on them .

Team Pami get 86 hp out of a F650 Funduro, but they need more than a 5% capacity increase and a different can to do it.
And you start it on rollers ----------. Price list is on their site, around EU10,000 should do it

Most of the guys who do the fake dyno charts don't even bother to change the torque figures, they just move the HP curve up a bi.
Simplest way to correct them is to move the HP curve so HP and torque are the same at5252? revs, or whatever 33,000 divided by 2xPi is.

A proper brake dyno only measures torque, so HP should always be a function of torque times revs (divided by 5252)
But they rarely are , the HP curve usually wanders off on it own, quite independent of the the torque curve.

Motern Israel have a good website with some of their good bits listed for sale, but if you asked for a bolt on kit which made 92 HP at the rear wheel you would probably get a big horse laugh. And remember 112 hp is around the same as a good Mank Norton was putting out, per cylinder, 60 odd years ago!

Ritchie Moore is reputed to get a reliable 120/130 HP out of the race motors he builds for sidecar racing, and he has a few bolt on road bike kits that he makes modest and probably accurate claims for.

That is a nice relatively unmolested bike though, but its value depends on the quality of the work that someone has put into it, and a dodgy HP chart doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
And they are asking the same as others are asking for totally rebuilt bikes.

Last conversation I had with Richie about fast road motors ,was an overbore to just over 1000cc,which would be high 10 to 1,
a sporty cam,and some gas flowing,this would take output to 70 ish HP,
I’m glossing over the details but 92bhp,hmmmmm
At my local dyno place the most power they have seen out of any airhead was 65 rw hp,
We were close with an 860.!

Last conversation I had with Richie about fast road motors ,was an overbore to just over 1000cc,which would be high 10 to 1,
a sporty cam,and some gas flowing,this would take output to 70 ish HP,
I’m glossing over the details but 92bhp,hmmmmm
At my local dyno place the most power they have seen out of any airhead was 65 rw hp,
We were close with an 860.!

I knew you would know
Cheers

92 rwhp is up there in race motor tune. And it would certainly not be on Bings, even if they have been re-jetted etc. Or the standard air box. And it would probably be a bear to ride on the road due to aggressive cam/compression ratio etc etc etc

And just as an aside, I know a tuner that can print out whatever dyno results you want ;-)

Just sayinn.........

If torque and HP are not the same at 5252 revs and the HP curve does not mirror the torque curve it is a bogus chart, as per my previous post.

So it looks like that one has been increased by at least 10 HP, if the torque curve. is correct, and it is probably optimistic too.

So 63/65 RWHP would be more accurate.

Which is about it with bolt on bits and no great expertise.DAHIK.

The stock flat airbox struggles to cope with even a warm motor, as anyone who has tried to tune the carbs with a O2 gauge will know, so claiming 90 hp and a flat AFR using it is just dreamtime.

Richie Moore and M.I. both change the airbox early in the tuning process for a good reason, and that is because they know what they are doing!

My two pence worth 92 rwhp is possible from a 980-999cc race engine, more from larger units. the parts on that bike will not get you 92 rwhp even with the extra capacity. as for the performance specials, i had a mark one 750 short stroke on the TTS dyno at silverstone, the one that i use, and it made 71 rwhp the owners then put it on the above dyno about a month later because it was close to them, and a mirical happened it made 78.5 rwhp they put the dyno sheet in my hand when we met at cadwell park they were so happy even though there lap times were the same.

Back
Top Bottom